ryan_welshman

Mk4 calipers

Hello all,

Need to redo my rear calipers and been reading on people using mk4 golf calipers.

What are the actual advantages, if any??

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

My understanding of it is.

Lighter as they are aluminium

Less prone to seizing

Makes sense I guess. I have had one seize while doing 70 and billowing smoke down the road...... scary stuff when you think it's about to catch fire and you have no water

Makes sense I guess. I have had one seize while doing 70 and billowing smoke down the road...... scary stuff when you think it's about to catch fire and you have no water

It’s quits a cheap upgrade, mk4 rears are readily available and all you need is new hoses as the mk4 need the banjo type fitting. The calipers are a direct swap apart from the hoses

Same think happened with me... I touched the Speedline spoke and that was well hot too... bought a new alloy wheel just in case it had changed the material properties when it got hot.

Is handbrake cable any different?

Plan on putting new ones in at the same time

It’s quits a cheap upgrade, mk4 rears are readily available and all you need is new hoses as the mk4 need the banjo type fitting. The calipers are a direct swap apart from the hoses

Is handbrake cable any different?

Plan on putting new ones in at the same time

Easypops will correct me but I think one has a ball at he the end of the cable and one has a cylinder. So you may need a mk4 cable.

Standard cables are fine, as mentioned the only difference is it's an alloy caliper with internal handbrake mech and you need hoses with banjo ends. If you have the hoses it's essentially a like for like swap.

Oops, didn’t notice the last question. As Simeon said, cables are fine, any ones I’ve seen have been a straight swap :)

I can confirm that. I'm running MkIV rears with the standard Corrado handbrake cables without a problem.

Mk4 fronts are either 288mm or 312mm, they also have a different offset to corrado. You can either use mk3 discs with 288mm or go 312mm with a 6mm spacer

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk