Baz6701

Fuel Pump

Corrado people I’ve been told by a mechanic friend that I need a new fuel pump as he believes this is why my G60 is “strangling” itself when I plant my little size 8!

If this is the case what pump do I go for? I’m on Eurocarparts and I have a choice of 4 all ‘in tank’ 🤷🏼*♂️

Cheers lovely people

The really early versions had the main pump fitted underneath the car and a small lift pump in tank, '91 onwards had the high press. pump intank.

Sounds like Digilag your suffering with mate, does it sometimes go very well the act like its hitting a wall and holding back?

It’s a 91 G60, not sure about what kind of pump.

Ye if I go easy up on the accelerator then it creeps up nicely but plant it and 9/10 it stutters then might go, also getting a wee misfire now

Fuel pressure regulator is worth checking with your description aswell id say

Digilag is part of the eprom's (chip) configuration/programming that the Vw engineers wrote into the software. I think it was something emission based but it's a royal pain in the arse. SNS managed to eradicate it from their superb chips they used to sell.

Misfire could be many things mate, start with having a peek at the spark plugs, ign. leads, cap, rotor arm etc.. Check and see if the full throttle micro switch works on full throttle.

Basically do a standard G60 service and tune up.

If you've got the early fuel pump set up then lift pump in the tank could well be your problem, quick and easy to change.

Wee update if anyone wasn’t sleeping wondering if my fuel pump was sorted yet, I got a Bosch pump from Eurocarparts and set about removing the old pump only to find the old pump has a float device attached to the side of it and doesn’t seem to fit the new 1 so now waiting on a float thing to come for the new pump, so no sunshine cruising for me ☹️

The float device as your probably aware is your fuel level sensor, does your G60 have a 12 gallon tank ? if so let them know as they will more than likely send you the version for the later larger 15 gallon tank so your fuel gauge level reading may well be false.

I'm not even sure if the 12 gallon sensor is still available.

Haven’t a clue about the tank size, How can I find out?

I think the early Corrado's from 1988 to late 1991 or early 1992 had the smaller fuel tank

55 litre =(12 gallons)

Then roughly 1992 onwards when the VR6 arrived they were fitted with the 70 litre =(15 gallons) fuel tank, as BAUHAUS has already mentioned.

I think you possibly can still purchase the fuel sender unit for the G60 with eng code PG.

Classic Parts keep it in stock I think it's roughly £89 or £99 euros.

I'll see if I can find you the link to it.

Si

Haven’t a clue about the tank size, How can I find out?

The best way is to look at your fuel gauge markings, the early G60 will have 12 gal marked on it

321 919 133 (fuel sender sealing ring)

£11.95 euros

For all Corrados

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/geber-92f2e5.html

535 919 673 B

£219 euros

Fuel sender (Possibly for VR6 ?)

Length 230mm

Width 70mm

Height 65mm

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/geber-fur-kraftstoffvorratsanzeige-670785.html

535 919 673 C

£89.95 euros Classic parts

Fuel sender for Corrado (eng PG)

Length 210mm

Width 90mm

Height 24mm

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/geber-fur-kraftsstoffvorratsanzeiger.html

1H0 919 673 F

£109 euros

Fuel sender (Corrado eng PG)

Length 210mm

Width 95mm

Height 74mm

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/geber-5e4245.html

1H0 919 673 H

£86.95 euros

Fuel sender for Corrado (eng PG)

Says from vin n.o *F 50N-000 001

to >>50R-008 000

Length 225mm

Width 72mm

Height 72mm

This is what I can find on Classic Parts.

Your old sender (float unit) should have a part number on it.

Or the sender unit housing should have a part number on it, basically in the boot when you lift up the carpet, you'll see a black plate cover held down with 3 screws, once this cover is removed you'll then see the top of the fuel sender housing.

Hope it helps

Si

Hello, I’ve changed the fuel pump as recommended, but of a pain of a job but done now, took the old girl for a ride and she’s still coughing etc on acceleration! I’ve checked the ignition leads and have decided to change them to see if that helps, also removed the plugs and the look black, so changing them too, you guys think this should fix this issue or is there more I need to consider? Someone mentioned a FRV? Or something like that? Oh and when I’ve sarted her up after farting about with the plugs she belted out some black smoke, like a cloud of it! Cheers

Edited by Baz6701

Faulty blue temp sensor and the O2 sensor gives these symptoms, as the failure of these components cause the engine to run excessively rich.