Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

Best Cam for G60

think maybe if i had a chip and pulley aswell this would have complimented the cam more as the extra low down boost would of helped the car to pull through the low revs then really let rip at the top end,,, got the std cam back in now and i`m running a little more ignition advance and seems to be going well,,, what other mods are you running on your car SANDY?

These are the mods I've had done so far

AMD CHIP & PULLEY PLUS STAGE 4 CONVERSION ON THE SUPERCHARGER

K&N PANEL FILTER

SUPER SPRINT CAT BYPASS PIPE

SCORPION STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST

BIG VALVE HEAD

SUPER SPRINT MANIFOLD 4 TO 1

SCHRICK CAM

ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR (FUEL PRESSURE * 2)

Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than starting another one.

I'm buying a cam off RACK which is a Newman cam ground to the exact specs of the Schrick cam to go onto my G60.

I'm already running a Jabba chip, 68mm pulley, S4 charger and some other breathing mods. Will I need to upgrade the injectors to fit this cam and is it sufficiently "mild" to keep the original valve springs etc? Can I even run the cam with the Jabba chip?

Cheers

It should be ok with the std injectors. The best/only way to tell is with a wideband lambda probe.

If you buy an Air Fuel ratio meter, then you can make sure it doesn't lean out. Just be wary of long periods of wide open throttle. I am talking a couple of minutes going flat out at warp speed. Accelerating hard to 80 from rest and then cruising would be safe.

Gavin

Would have thought so. At high revs the std springs are not stiff enough to return the valve back to the seat before the cam starts opening the valve again. I think they call it valve float.

I would ask their advice before purchasing any.

Gavin

Just phoned Newman cams as they said that as I'm not raising the rev limit I won't need new valve springs. Coupled to this the fact that the G60 doesn't need to be thrashed in its upper rev limits it wouldn't be necessary to replace the springs. Sounds like a bolt-in job. :)

Thread resurrected - AGAIN!

Just wondering if the general opinion is that the standard cam is the best option?

I'm interested in this topic as well as I am rebuilding a G60 engine at the moment and I have the cam that came in the engine (which is a 276 piper cam I think) and I have a standard cam also.

Other mods on the engine are stage 4 charger with chip and 68mm pulley, ported and polished head and manifolds and supersprint exhaust. Once the engine is run in I may also be fitting red top injectors.

So which would be better do people think? I'm thinking standard cam as I like the low down pull of a standard G60.

the 268/272 we offer is a very refined cam indeed- Speak to neil on hear for his verdict as he has been running one in a mildly tuned g60 for some time now.

The Piper 270 cam i am running seems to be pretty good, you dont loose any of the low down grunt and the power keeps on going all the way to 6000rpm which is plenty really, especially combined with a breathed on cylinder head! i would have gone for a shrick type item darren supplies if i hadnt got my piper jobbie so cheap!

the 268/272 we offer is a very refined cam indeed- Speak to neil on hear for his verdict as he has been running one in a mildly tuned g60 for some time now.

Indeed :) I've since sold my G60 :( but that Newman cam was one of the best mods I did to the car. It adds even more mid range shove to the already ample torque, pulls all the way to the redline and tickover was only very slightly lumpier than normal. It certainly didn't hunt though on tickover and was fine in traffic. What's more, you don't pay Scrick prices as the cam's only £180 new! I think it was 268/272. The guys at Newman are very good though and deals loads in all kinds of motorsport so they know their onions. :)

Cams are raelly personal preference. I've gone for a more extreme cam in mine with a 268/276 shrick cam. But then mine is modified on the more extreme side for a weekend car.

It all depends on what you want to achieve.

I want to achieve a little more power over standard, not lose all the low down grunt, and to retain some kind of idle.

I take it the 270 mentioned may be the best option and also an improvement on standard?

i have a piper 285 fast road cam is this a lower duration? also does anyone else run this cam and do they have any opinions on whether its good or not compared to standard as ive only ever driven with this cam! thanks andy

I may be wrong but I think the Piper 285 is actually a 268 cam ? I run a split duration / asymmetrical cam in mine 268/276 (same as Blue_Joe has put in his engine) and find it great.

Cheers