carrots

Roof trims could be dead

I got the jet wash on the car tonight as ive not cleaned it for a few weeks.loads of crap was coming out from the roof trims.i pulled them and they are not even stuck in place anymore.so i took them off.is it possible to re stick them.there are bits falling off so that could be the old double sided tape rotton

The usual problem is that the flexible rubber seal along the sides of the strip rots and crumbles after cracking - lots of people trim this piece off to make it look neater. I'd say just replace them - they were obsolete for a long time, but you now have a few options:

- VW Classic Parts recently remade a run using the original tooling, you can order direct from Germany or through Heritage

- a chap called Karmannski did his own run of a repro part, there was a group buy for them here a while back and they seemed to be of good quality

- you may come across someone willing to sell some original ones that they have in storage

Even the hinge cover pieces are available at the moment.

If available as mentioned above then I'd say replace them. I replace mine about five years ago and I remember thinking how much of an improvement new ones made.

Expensive, yes - but NLA sets were going for nearly €500 on ebay not so long ago. The expense is in the tooling up for a limited production run.

I trimmed the frayed part off mine and then clenaed them up. They were them warmed and straightened, and then treated with Mer and Back to Black. Seem to be ok

Planning to use some self-amalgamating tape on the flexible underside as some of this has also perished.