spen

Front wheel bearing housings

Looking for left and right front wheel besring housings for 95' VR, seem to be obsolete, does anyone known what else fits, obviously five stud, seen some on ebay from eastern europe but need to double check before I get my pants pulled down! Any help much appreciated cheers

1H0 407 613B

5 stud front hub for VR6

Available at Euro Car Parts, GSF, Ebay, and possibly VW Heritage / Classic Parts.

Below are the only wheel / bearing hub housings that VW Classic Parts stock for the Corrado I believe.

1H0 407 255

Left wheel hub housing

£239 euros

1H0 407 256

Right wheel hub housing

£239 euros

Si

The thing I've noticed with my front wheel hub housings, mainly the N/S/F as that was the one I had a problem with, the old wheel bearing was shot, so replaced with new one only to find that when pressing the new bearing in, it went straight in with out any real resistance, so pressed the new bearing out and checked everything, came to the conclusion that the outer case of bearing was able to spin very slightly, where it should be a nice snug fit against the inner wall of the wheel hub housing.

I used some bearing lock on the outer case area of bearing, so it wouldn't spin like before, only the centre of bearing would spin like it should.

If my bearing goes again in the future then I'll have to purchase new wheel hub housings, as possibly you're only ment to use these wheel hub housings once or maybe twice max ?

This will be the second time that I've seen an issue with some of these VW hub housings, one was on my Corrado and the other was on a work colleagues MK3 Golf some years ago now.

Just food for thought.

Si

Can you not get a second hand pair and refurb them ?.

I wanna re-new everything underneath really Rob which is a pain when the price of these housings is quite a lot,£250 plus a side, the new bearings are too loose so I've no choice but to get new ones really

The thing I've noticed with my front wheel hub housings, mainly the N/S/F as that was the one I had a problem with, the old wheel bearing was shot, so replaced with new one only to find that when pressing the new bearing in, it went straight in with out any real resistance, so pressed the new bearing out and checked everything, came to the conclusion that the outer case of bearing was able to spin very slightly, where it should be a nice snug fit against the inner wall of the wheel hub housing.

I used some bearing lock on the outer case area of bearing, so it wouldn't spin like before, only the centre of bearing would spin like it should.

If my bearing goes again in the future then I'll have to purchase new wheel hub housings, as possibly you're only ment to use these wheel hub housings once or maybe twice max ?

This will be the second time that I've seen an issue with some of these VW hub housings, one was on my Corrado and the other was on a work colleagues MK3 Golf some years ago now.

Just food for thought.

Si

Exact same issue Si

Yeah so really depends how many times the bearings have been replaced, like I say you might get away with using some bearing lock like I did, but other then that possibly looks like you might need new wheel hub housings ?

Si

Also I've had a similar issue with the centre hub that's part of the rear brake discs,

a new bearing I was fitting to the rear disc's, again it felt loose so had to purchase a new set of rear disc's, so possibly the rear hubs are similar in that you're only able to punch / press them in 2 to 3 times max ??

Si

Won't the bearing expand as it heats up. Can't say I've encountered this issue and my hubs are the 230,000mile originals

I guess I was lucky with mine then . Mine are on 155k . I suppose the inside bore can get worn ?. It’s a lot of dough for a new pair .

I pressed a new bearing in my NSF, no issues, 95Kish miles, but it was an OE bearing.

With nothing moving inside the actual housing I cant see how it can wear?

Undersized bearings would be my guess

I guess I was lucky with mine then . Mine are on 155k . I suppose the inside bore can get worn ?. It’s a lot of dough for a new pair .

My theory is that large, heavy wheels with incorrect offsets, combined with low suspension and excess camber can cause an issue with the wheel bearing housings where a tiny bit of play can develop between the bearing and the housing. My first Corrado had a very strange issue when I bought it where backing up and turning would cause a loud "crack" sound from both sides of the front of the car, almost like a gun shot. I could feel the vibration in my feet, and it had a slight springy sound as well, so I figured it was a loose suspension component, vibrating the spring.

But replacing all that made no difference. It was a difficult problem to diagnose, since it was such a weird, unnatural problem that you likely would never see but for lowered vehicles with oversized wheels, which mine had when I got it. I got rid of those wheels, and put a normal suspension in the car, and swapped the housings for a pair of used Passat housings I found, and this instantly cured the problem. I think a lot of people make dumb modifications that result in bizarre failures you won't ever see otherwise, and these can be very difficult to diagnose, like worn/warped wheel bearing housing bores.

Can they be tapped in with a hammer? I have some new housing and bearings and not gotten round to taking them to a garage to get them pressed in. Would rather do it myself though

Can they be tapped in with a hammer? I have some new housing and bearings and not gotten round to taking them to a garage to get them pressed in. Would rather do it myself though

Its a bit "bush fix". Presses are cheap if you have room? My floor standing 20T was £90 delivered to my door.

You could with a hammer and appropriately sized socket or cup. Some people freeze the bearing to make it a bit easier to install. I'd rather press them in though, as hammering on round things tends to make them less round.

You could with a hammer and appropriately sized socket or cup. Some people freeze the bearing to make it a bit easier to install. I'd rather press them in though, as hammering on round things tends to make them less round.

Yeah as above it's better using a 10 tone or 15 tone press when fitting the cartridge type bearings, as using a hammer and socket can damage the seals, and there's a small risk of creating fine metal filings which could possibly get into bearing if the seal is damaged.

Si

My theory is that large, heavy wheels with incorrect offsets, combined with low suspension and excess camber can cause an issue with the wheel bearing housings where a tiny bit of play can develop between the bearing and the housing. My first Corrado had a very strange issue when I bought it where backing up and turning would cause a loud "crack" sound from both sides of the front of the car, almost like a gun shot. I could feel the vibration in my feet, and it had a slight springy sound as well, so I figured it was a loose suspension component, vibrating the spring.

But replacing all that made no difference. It was a difficult problem to diagnose, since it was such a weird, unnatural problem that you likely would never see but for lowered vehicles with oversized wheels, which mine had when I got it. I got rid of those wheels, and put a normal suspension in the car, and swapped the housings for a pair of used Passat housings I found, and this instantly cured the problem. I think a lot of people make dumb modifications that result in bizarre failures you won't ever see otherwise, and these can be very difficult to diagnose, like worn/warped wheel bearing housing bores.

You might be on to something here as like you say, if the geometry is way out or is left out for long periods, it possibly could cause slight damage to the wheel hub housing ?

Who knows anything is possible I suppose.

Si