jared_nomak

Storm Grey VR6

keep an eye out for some 2.8VR6 engines - these can be rebored to 2.9 so if your pistons and rings are ok, it'll be much more cost effective and you'll have a well sorted engine. Just a thought..

This is what I'd do above 100%

It’s possibly one of your cheapest options.

Si

The problem with Corrados at the moment (and possibly well into the future) is that when you consider the price of a decent "project" car to buy and then add what it takes to get it to first class condition, you will not make any money when you go to sell it, even at the top of the asking price range - so they don't make much sense as a money turner or investment as it is. And that's without paying people to do most of the work.

You need to either really want to drive or own a Corrado, and be done with it and accept the financial realities or look elsewhere - they are not classic 911s or UrQuattros.

For your dilemma, I would say that if the bodywork and chassis is in decent enough condition that it will last and not need too much work, go for a replacement second-hand engine if you want to keep it original, or a transplant if not. I think someone on here was even able to get hold of a NOS 2.8 engine recently. The money you've been quoted seems very high if it's just for the engine work, and if that is the cost then I'd say that the engine is economically not viable to recondition.

I’d be looking for something like this.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263747513068

Dvla mileage indicates it’s genuine, it was an auto so it’s had a nice easy life without labouring and unlikely to have been thrashed either.

A top end overhaul and a chain kit would leave change from a grand if you get your hands dirty

The problem with Corrados at the moment (and possibly well into the future) is that when you consider the price of a decent "project" car to buy and then add what it takes to get it to first class condition, you will not make any money when you go to sell it, even at the top of the asking price range - so they don't make much sense as a money turner or investment as it is. And that's without paying people to do most of the work.

You need to either really want to drive or own a Corrado, and be done with it and accept the financial realities or look elsewhere - they are not classic 911s or UrQuattros.

For your dilemma, I would say that if the bodywork and chassis is in decent enough condition that it will last and not need too much work, go for a replacement second-hand engine if you want to keep it original, or a transplant if not. I think someone on here was even able to get hold of a NOS 2.8 engine recently. The money you've been quoted seems very high if it's just for the engine work, and if that is the cost then I'd say that the engine is economically not viable to recondition.

The work includes sensors, brakes discs front and rear and pad, clutch, chains, refurbed cylinder head, gaskets, plugs, oil pump and some bushes. I had already planned to spend £2500 on it but when stripping the engine they found the issue. So the extra is the strip down and reboring of the engine and new pistons.

It’s a 79k Miles car with full history so changing the engine does not really appeal. I have been good a picking collectors cars which have jumped after buying them and I think the corrado is just starting to be recognised.

The body has no rust and I mean none, it does have a couple of scuffs and dings on the body work and was planning to do a windows out repaint.

Ross

Edited by jared_nomak

Id agree with the above in terms of bodywork is the driving factor. Everything else can easily be repaired and with good searching spares can be found.

Are any of really here for an investment? I know i have a Corrado because i love them. Like many of us i boarded the Corrado train a fair while ago and stash parts away like fury.

Are any of really here for an investment? I know i have a Corrado because i love them. Like many of us i boarded the Corrado train a fair while ago and stash parts away like fury.

Lol - last Corrado cost me £5.5k, I then spent £1000s on it, sold it for £5.5k.

Worst deal in the world, but that didn’t stop me buying another Corrado last year - love them !!

I just wish I’d kept all the spare parts I had accumulated 10 years ago, I near enough gave it all away on eBay compared to what spares cost now (if you can find those parts) - error...

Thats roughly what I've spent on my engine... about 3k-ish - but that does include the Shrick Manifold

From memory.. block over bored to 82.5mm, high compression Wiseco pistons (thought I was in a hurry and standard pistons were on factory order so you could find cheaper pistons), balanced crank and rods, decked and hot tanked block - £1800

Man in the Shed (Dave) ported and rebuilt cylinder head £500 - you should be able to source a fully refurbished stock head for a lot less.

Stealth late timing chain set £170 and MLS head gasket £28 - I did also go for Shimmel Cams at another £460.

Few other costs would be the remaining gaskets, plugs, oil etc... but I've built the engine as I really enjoy doing it and don't have the spare cash to pay someone really, but I recon your £2.5k should rebuild your engine, but you will have to get your hands dirty, plus you get to do all the bits you want to do to make it look factory fresh! - give the block a coat of paint, get all the brackets plated or powder coated, I also had the aluminium parts aqua blasted and I've also cleaned, ported and painted my exhaust manifolds ;)

I don’t have the time to do it myself at present as had my house just after a 2 year rebuild flooded by the local council doing roadworks outside and been battling with getting that all redone for the last year and a half.

I also have another car needing rebuilt.

So would be great to do it myself but just don’t currently have time and need the car sooner rather than later.

Only just seen your thread Jared. Seems you are having terrible luck :(

I see your dilema on the engine as it's low mileage and original. You're also part way through some of the work with I assume Stealth (no experience with them but have heard they are the dogs danglies with the VR6). Best option would be whether Stealth have any alternative options such as sourcing another engine and then you weighing up the pros and cons with that information as well. Some of the £6k needs doing anyway and isn't related to the engine.

If you find it's only a extra £1k to get your original engine sorted (it's about £3k at Stealth right, the other 3k is for other work?) vs say £2k to get a another unknown engine fitted then it might be worth the punt?

I always compare repair costs back against the cost of leasing a new car and having nothing to show for it at the end when I am feeling down about spending money on old cars: £6K isn't even a years motoring, inc. down payment on something mildly interesting.

Does it need a full respray? Looks good from the photos aside the small issues. That said I recently spent 2K at the body shop having a few rust spots sorted and a new boot lid vs a full respray @ £3-4k it seems better value to go for the respray.

Good luck with the project(s).

Well I just bit the bullet and gave stealth the go ahead to sort the engine on my Corrado, I am hoping once finished and painted it will still be worth a decent amount and I will only have spent £2or3k less than it will be worth. I have wanted one for year so really hope it lives up to what I’m hoping.

Now to decide what to do with the recaros leather trim or keep them cloth and see if the wear on the drivers bolster can be sorted.

Ross

Good work. You will end up with a car you know is right at the end of it. Stealth is well known and I would have thought having engine work done there will make the car worth more in the long run.

The seat bolster can be repaired. Mine is frayed and had a quote for 80 quid to have repaired m. However I like you want leather or recaros!l so haven’t bothered!

Now to decide what to do with the recaros leather trim or keep them cloth and see if the wear on the drivers bolster can be sorted.

Ross

You could try Michael at MJ Interiors to get your seats done, either repairing the bolster on your existing one or going the whole hog on the interior as I did. I’d suggest you called and had a look at mine but I have an inkling that you live a fair distance away from North Notts? You could give me a shout if you’re heading up the M1 any time.

Where did you manage the find the seats in the end? I keep an eye on the facebook feeds and ebay but never see any. Tips appreciated.

Good work. You will end up with a car you know is right at the end of it. Stealth is well known and I would have thought having engine work done there will make the car worth more in the long run.

The seat bolster can be repaired. Mine is frayed and had a quote for 80 quid to have repaired m. However I like you want leather or recaros!l so haven’t bothered!

Would be good to get it repaired and looking good until I decide to retrim.

Where did you manage the find the seats in the end? I keep an eye on the facebook feeds and ebay but never see any. Tips appreciated.

It was the facebook feed but were not cheap, I know of another set of red leather ones for sale

You could try Michael at MJ Interiors to get your seats done, either repairing the bolster on your existing one or going the whole hog on the interior as I did. I’d suggest you called and had a look at mine but I have an inkling that you live a fair distance away from North Notts? You could give me a shout if you’re heading up the M1 any time.

Yeh I’m up near Edinburgh. I have been trying to get in touch with Snappy Gaiters but no luck as yet, but want a set of BBS LM and to get it repainted or touched up

Look like I might have found my retrim guy :)

So engine getting sorted.

Retrimmed planned for next year. Along with paintwork.

Thereafter I can look at Exhaust and Suspension Options.

Hopefully in That time will find a set of BBS LM Whees

Latest update, stealth finally have replacement pistons, what heater/radiator houses would people go for, I want it to look as OEM under the bonnet as I can, or until I can find a supercharger

Ross

Hoping to have the car very soon

Very difficult to find a complete set of OEM hoses new now, although some of the main ones are available through Classic Parts. Samco and some others do a "Classic Car/vintage" version of their silicone hoses in matte black with no logo that would work well if you are going for an understated factory look.