robrado974

Poor idle , now spluttering .

So I’ve solved my coolant leaking problem. I replaced the lot bar the pipes. The engine was fine before removing the battery. I’ve had the car 11 years so I know about the ECU learning the engine again .So I put the poor idle down to this . However it’s still bad . Ive changed the ISV but made no difference. Next is to check all vac hoses for cracks . Today though having sorted the coolant problem I’ve been out driving the car , all was fine till I was nearly home and lost all throttle response, putting my foot on the peddle it was spluttering and then it would suddenly gain power. So my thoughts went to fuel . Ive got a spare new filter, I think from memory I changed it five years ago??. The FPR is only a few years old . I’ve never had loss of power before. So I will change the filter and go from there . I did replace the fuel pump a few years back too , albeit a second hand part . Any more information would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Rob

Sorry that I can't help with the sputtering issue Rob, can I ask what your coolant leak Was?

Hi Cressa . I replaced the rad , crack pipe and thermostat housing. I had a leak from the new housing, so I used the black sealant stuff from my friendly mechanic. It still leaked but this time from the middle pipe. I had pushed it on to the plastic hose housing to far . I pulled it back a bit and re tightened it . Job done .

I've had FPRs fail after a couple of years, so as a cheap part, it's worth investigating - although they usually just cause poor starting. Also check the MAF and the TPS, and for any air leaks - the ISV damper and the piping from the manifold under the airbox are likely supects. If you have access to VCDS, checking for fault codes is a good start as well.

Thanks Fender . I will check everything. I did remove the MAF plug , the engine spluttered and started to stall, so as far as I know it’s working fine . Once I’ve done all I can , if it’s still giving me grief, I will get my friendly mechanic to put it on the vagcom .