Footie

Newbie Up North

Hi

New to the Forum. Newbie to this sort of thing too and no good on the net!

I have a 1996 Corrado VR6 black with black leather. For the last 3 years have been doing an improvement programme on the car. The ABS light keeps coming on and it is now clear it needs a new ABS Pump. We've been down the getting the existing one refurbed which hasn't worked so now need a properly refurbished or new part. I have the part number but can anyone help or point me in the right direction. Not sure if I can post the part number - would that mean it's a classified ad LOL?

Common problem - have you replaced all the cheaper parts of the ABS system such as the sensors first? It's also worth interrogating the ABS ECU with VCDS to get the diagnostic codes. The pumps can still be had new from VW, but for over £2000 not really an option. Next bet would be a second hand unit but they are hard to find in good working order, and get that tested and reconditioned (this is what I did and hgot lucky).

Others have deleted ABS all together, or upgraded to the later Teves 020 system from a Mk3 Golf or Passat. That system is much more reliable and also improves braking performance very slightly and does away with the need for the rear beam brake bias regulate and the pedal position sensor. But it's a fairly big job, even if you do come across all the right parts - easier to do on a project car.

Thank you for the reply! All the things you suggest have been tried. If you know of someone that can genuinely refurb a pump it would be good to know? We have sent it for refurbing on 3 occasions and each time it didn't work.

Thanks for your input.

Who did you use? Some have had success with BBA-Reman, others not. I think the problem is that the most that can be done is to test and clean them, replace the solenoids and resolder any broken joints on the PCB - the most common mode of failure due to heat soak and dirt/water getting in from the bottom. I don't think any other parts are available for them, so refurbish is probably a loose term in this case.