delfinis38

powder coating rims

anyone experience of powder coating old rims ????

Had some wheels powder coated locally.... I took it back as the powder coating cracked when the temperature dropped to 2 degrees over night. the guy admitted they hadn't been baked enough. HE did it again FOC. I changed the wheel after and the powder coat chipped very easily.....

Had the wheel redone a few weeks ago.... just been to get some new tyres, and the tyre fitter has managed to chip the powder coating again..... not that pleased....

OEM powder coated wheels don't do this. the wheels were acid dipped, powder coated, baked and lacquered.

Had sets done from BJV in Hemel and a Pristine in Woburn both fine for years.

Something doesn't sound right, they shouldnt chip or crack that easy, sounds like the coating has not bonded properly.

I’ve watched the demo at both classic car show and resto show given by Leeds college and a few of the q and a sessions the instructor has remarked that powdercoat doesn’t chemically bond to metal, it surrounds and vacuums itself to it. Maybe someone can ask next weekend for clarification?

VW paints wheels from the factory, not powdercoat. I’ve had wheels done by Chicago powdercoating in north Manchester and it’s been robust and long lasting

The wheels should be sandblasted first really to get a good key for the powder coating to adhere to. Had many rims blasted and powder coated in the past with no problems. My only gripe with powder coating is the finish, as it can sometimes be a bit orange peely.

Thanks for all the replies.... these were 18 inch Audi rims.. cars only a few years old... regretting having them done now. Time to change car maybe....

Should of gone to Hemel or pristine.... rather than the local chap

Pristine is double the cost but the work is flawless, BJV is roughly half the price, but you might end up with a couple of very minor imperfections