Jon_vr6

Misfire

Got in the car this morning and noticed it felt and sounded different than usual. Proceeded to open bonnet and noticed arching on one of the spark leads where it joins to the coilpack. What's the first port of call the coilpack isn't that old Bosch one. I'll try and post video in a minute.

Cheers

Jon

Beru was the other "good" make but I've got a Bremi on mine.

You could take it off and check for cracks and glue it as a temp. fix

Usually when the coilpack fails though it fails in pairs. So would go down to 4 cylinder mine seems to indicate 1 which means lead or spark plug?

Actually another idea - you could swap the lead to another cylinder and see if it responds the same or if you have a multimeter check the resistance of the lead (set to Ohms). Prob best to whip a few of the leads off to compare resistance readings.

Yeah the leads I have on are from Mr retro leads (my car engine on his ebay ad). Now I've found my spare coilpack (ecp crap make but will do for testing purposes) and I've got spare it leads as well I can test tomorrow.

Changed coilpack for spare known good one and all back and running on 6 again rather than intermittently running on 5. Sprayed a mist of water over the leads at the coilpack and no nasty arcing and after a good run out it's back to its best. Going to replace the spare with a better make though so will get a bremi from euro car parts.

Only one small crack on the coilpack in the middle shame as only been on 4 years.

I have a Bremi on mine. I was looking for a Beru as supposedly better but no problems with mine. I've also bought one of those plates that sit between the coil pack and the engine to limit the temperatures to avoid the cracking. There is a guy on the facebook group making them for around £25, comes with longer bolts too - Matthew Huggins is the fella to contact.

I have a Bremi on mine. I was looking for a Beru as supposedly better but no problems with mine. I've also bought one of those plates that sit between the coil pack and the engine to limit the temperatures to avoid the cracking. There is a guy on the facebook group making them for around £25, comes with longer bolts too - Matthew Huggins is the fella to contact.

Sexybourbon on here also supplies the coilpack spacers

I bought one too - for £25 it’s got to be worth it.

Sexybourbon on here also supplies the coilpack spacers

Same guy Hasan - as I say, worth it for only £25 - coil pack might last longer than normal.