jaybo

Will these wiper arms fit?

I fitted mine today as well I think I have something wrong with my passenger wiper arm or the bolts needs adjusting as still hitting the lower plastic window trim on full speed if that makes sense. Also still missing part of the centre screen. Checked and my arms are x2 rhd drive Lupo GTi so a bit mythed by it!

Edited by Keyo

It could be that the spline on the passenger side arm is worn down, or that it needs to be re-seated slightly higher.

You can get a cool mini puller thing that looks like a small robot's claw for removing the wiper arms easily. If you come across a set of the the 928S blades at a reasonable price it would be interesting to compare, and see what you think.

Think your probably right chap sounds like the spline has worn , it sort of happens for the first minute or so and then the wiper seems to settle and not slam the trim anymore.

Could be the motor/linkage?

I did my arms a while back, and it took me ages to set it up mm perfect so they don't foul the plastic. You can fix it to what seems the bottom of travel when stationary, but they still hit the trim when on full blast, as there just seems a lot of play in the mechanism.

I have set mine so they are quite a way up the screen when they come to a stop, but was the only way I could do it. On intermittent they don't go anywhere near the trim, but just stop short on full blast. I have a suspicion the motor being old and worn has something to do with it as well as I can't entirely manually force the wipers as far as their full range of travel when on, but not fully sure how.

Could be the motor/linkage?

I did my arms a while back, and it took me ages to set it up mm perfect so they don't foul the plastic. You can fix it to what seems the bottom of travel when stationary, but they still hit the trim when on full blast, as there just seems a lot of play in the mechanism.

I have set mine so they are quite a way up the screen when they come to a stop, but was the only way I could do it. On intermittent they don't go anywhere near the trim, but just stop short on full blast. I have a suspicion the motor being old and worn has something to do with it as well as I can't entirely manually force the wipers as far as their full range of travel when on, but not fully sure how.

Pretty much my exact thought. I have a spare complete mech - you can still get the passenger nipple that the wiper houses on to but drivers is obsolete, I have a complete spare mech - but these links are going to be a pain in the ronson in the future as they are obsolete.

Let me know if you fix it mate as I have exactly the same issue. I will also update if I manage to fix it.

Edited by Keyo

Also to add Im sure the old skool on here know about this little mod but those that don't.

You can get a cover for the wiper motor and it fits perfect, it was from a Passat and classics sell it for about £12.00

Part number C3A2 955 128

Last two pictures on album shows the cover I fitted today.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KofL9bRESGSeZJv47

Edited by Keyo

Also to add Im sure the old skool on here know about this little mod but those that don't.

You can get a cover for the wiper motor and it fits perfect, it was from a Passat and classics sell it for about £12.00

Part number C3A2 955 128

Last two pictures on album shows the cover I fitted today.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KofL9bRESGSeZJv47

Yep, I have one of these fitted - looks nice, but I'd prefer a proper scuttle tray, but that's a different thread...

Hi has anyone got a new one of these linkages for sale for wiper motor ? I'm trying to rebuild my wiper unit with as many new parts as possible.

Thanks

Part number 536955325

https://www.vwheritage.com/536955325-wiper-mechanism-linkage-right-hand-drive-vw-spare

Also a new one of these if possible.

Part number 536955216

Edited by Keyo

Going back to the wiper blades, I've tested both sets on the Lupo arms, and will be sticking with the Bosch A928S (530mm and 475mm), as they give the best compromise on overall screen coverage. The Lupo 475mm ones both sides leave a few gaps and less cleared area.

I also tried the 530mm blade on the off side with the Lupo blade on the driver's side, but this leaves a large unswept area bottom right and they nearly touch in the middle at rest.

It all comes down to where the pivot point on the blade is and how much wiper is left on each side - some of the generic blades have it exactly in the middle, but this is not the case with either of these, and they are both different.

The Bosch ones don't hit anything, even if they are quite tight on the passenger side, so I think if you get noise etc. in operation it is probably a loose wiper linkage or that position of the arm on the spindle needs to be adjusted.

The ideal would probably be 500mm and 475mm, but the pivot would need to be in the correct place. I can't find my standard wipers at the moment to compare, but I think they were 2x475mm as well.

Thanks for the message VW Rule it wont let me reply to your message off here and dare sign out and back in incase it locks me out of the site again for a week.

Cheers

Edited by Keyo

Let me know if you fix it mate as I have exactly the same issue. I will also update if I manage to fix it.

I didn't really manage to fix it as such, there's still play somewhere in the mechanism, I just managed to set the wiper arms in such a way that they didn't foul anything. It's near mm perfect... any small deviation either way and it either hits the other arm, or the scuttle. I wonder if getting the motor refurbed would be worthwhile...

Easy enough to replace - if the arm is very firmly stuck on the spindle after you undo the nut, you might need a small puller to get it off - most motor factors will have these, and they are made specially for wipers and small stuff.

Best to replace entirely really, as if you try to bend it back it may have lost some of its structural integrity and be more like to break or snap off - not something you want while out driving.

53 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Easy enough to replace - if the arm is very firmly stuck on the spindle after you undo the nut, you might need a small puller to get it off - most motor factors will have these, and they are made specially for wipers and small stuff.

Best to replace entirely really, as if you try to bend it back it may have lost some of its structural integrity and be more like to break or snap off - not something you want while out driving.

Think that might be spam message. 

Thought it might be - spamtastic, but couldn't tell for sure. Ah well, they'll run out of free posts soon enough.

24 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Thought it might be - spamtastic, but couldn't tell for sure. Ah well, they'll run out of free posts soon enough.

They got you there mate truly spammed lol. I was wondering Fen since you use to own a Mk2 did you have any Votex bits or recaro rare bits still in your secret stash.  Wouldn't mind a votex console with the vdo gauges. 

Edited by Keyo