virtuoso23

Running Without Lambda Sensor VR6

Can a ODB1 Distributor based VR6 run fine without a lambda sensor??

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, searched through posts but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have just fitted a Stainless Power Sprint exhaust yesterday, I picked up used for a great price and it's in excellent condition, the original exhaust has lasted the life of the car, 27 years but was pin holed throughout.

It's a bit naughty as it's designed to fit the VR6 without the cat in place. The existing lambda sensor was pretty much welded in the original exhaust so couldn't remove and fit it.

Luckily the used Power Sprint exhaust has the old lambda sensor still fitted minus the wiring, so i installed it all which fitted beautifully but with a disconnected lambda.

My guess is it only needs the lambda to protect the original cat and for emmission control.

I took the car to work and back today and it got the best MPG readout iv'e ever had!

Oh and my god the original system weighs more than a mountain

Thanks

Without it the engine won’t run closed loop, the engine will be in limp mode to protect itself.

Hi Dox, so it will be running permanently rich to protect it's self?

Strange it got great fuel economy, although it did feel a little flat at low revs

Could be wrong but couldn't this also lead to a mot fail due to emissions .

It should be possible to sacrifice the old boss the lambda resides inside with a grinder to weaken it to the point it can be removed.

Hi Dox, I've ordered a new one now anyways. Was just concerned about running the car in the meantime without a lambda as im using it daily atm as my TT has gone poop, so looking for a new car.

Would you expect any adverse effects running it as until the new lambda comes

Much appreciated

Short term it should be ok, I wouldn’t do any full throttle power runs though.

Correct at full throttle it goes into static map relying only on knock sensors to control ignition retard. At all other times however it is relying on the lambda to trim fuelling so it will run the same way it runs after an ECU reset. This will likely be a little richer than normal operation. Don't trust the dashboard mpg..

I tried to reply to the tread a week ago but the forum wouldn’t let me.