Bramble VR6

Sony XR5509

I've a 95 VR6 and quite fancy having an original radio with it. According to the brochure this would be a Sony XR5509 unit? Does anybody have one for sale or know where I could buy one?

Fleabay, as always:

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Sony+XR5509+&_sacat=0

IMHO though the VW Gamma 4 head unit which was original equipment in Germany looks much better in a late car - quite a high spec unit for it's time green illumination, 4x25w, RDS, speed sensitive volume, telephone mute, anti-theft LED, and CD changer control. The are getting expensive though as the retro/restoration market has picked up. German ebay is the best source and make sure you get the code.

Back in the day, VW dealers offered an upgrade service. A lot of people would have opted for radio cd player as even in the mid-1990s cassettes were a seriously dated format.

I think most went for CD changers as an upgrade at the time, as there were still relatively few reliable single DIN CD players available. VW did have a Gamma CD (extremely rare) that only worked with the Aktiv powered speaker system as the head unit had no end stage amp in it (probably for space reasons).

I think UK cars never came with factory head units installed, most were specced by the local dealers, hence why you would see a lot of Sony and Panasonic as well as Blaupunkt units in UK registered cars.

Had one of those Sony's in my Golf GTI - had a big appetite for tape.. ;) don't put your favourite Def Leopard album in there :D

Had one of those Sony's in my Golf GTI - had a big appetite for tape.. ;) don't put your favourite Def Leopard album in there :D

Ha ha - yeah, when those tape mechanisms go wrong all bets are off! I once had to remove and open a unit up to get a jammed cassette out - that was fun, not.

Ha ha - yeah, when those tape mechanisms go wrong all bets are off! I once had to remove and open a unit up to get a jammed cassette out - that was fun, not.

cant beat a home recording of the top 40 on a TDK C90....

I think most went for CD changers as an upgrade at the time, as there were still relatively few reliable single DIN CD players available. VW did have a Gamma CD (extremely rare) that only worked with the Aktiv powered speaker system as the head unit had no end stage amp in it (probably for space reasons).

I think UK cars never came with factory head units installed, most were specced by the local dealers, hence why you would see a lot of Sony and Panasonic as well as Blaupunkt units in UK registered cars.

In 1989 I had a Golf GTI as a company car, this came fitted with a Panasonic radio cassette. The company I worked for paid for this to be upgraded to a removable one to prevent theft. This still didn't stop Croydon's Oiks from smashing the windows on a regular basis. After a couple of Rovers with cd changers under the passenger seat, I ordered a Golf GTI 16v in 1995. I upgraded the standard Sony radio cassette to a radio cd. This car came with an alarm, but it didn't stop the oiks from trying to steal the radio. I don't think they ever got away with the radio but my neighbours were fed up with the constant alarms.