Ray1965

Anyone used any of these products

I'm after some info on these two products "Forever Black dye bumper and trim restorer" and Wurth plastic dye to restore my door side trims as they are really faded and every back to black products i use only last five minutes.

Anyone used any of these two, or could tell me which one would be best?

I use Forever Black on my Mk2 GTi, which has a lot more black plastic than the Corrado, mostly bumpers, wheel arches and door strips. Coincidentally I just spent most of the day cleaning the Golf and just re-did the bumpers etc after about three years. They'd faded a bit, but still pretty good and I'd happily recommend the stuff. I've not used it on the Corrado door side-trims, but I don't see why it wouldn't do the job. It comes with a pre-cleaner included which you need to use to remove traces of past treatments, wax, polish etc, then it's just a dab-on thing with small sponge like that liquid shoe polish. Using some masking tape to keep the stuff off the paint isn't a bad call. It's what I'm planning on doing when I finish off the Golf if it ever stops raining :-(

I've never used the Wurth stuff, so can't really comment on how that compares. Hope that's some help.

You can't really go wron with Wurth products - they are industrial class. I haven't used the plastic dye yet, but the plastic polish works a treat. None of these will last forever and will need ot be done at regular intervals - the materials tech in the 80s just wasn't at the same stage as we are now - the only real solution is to replace with new, but not an option if the trim in question is obsolete. Backe in the day when I had a Mk2 GTI big bumper, I used to get great results with liquid shoe polish - the key is to make sure the surface is clean, then emery with very veryfine paper to give a key, and use some alcohol to clean off afterwards.

Have you tried gtechniq c4 permanent trim restorer? Cracking stuff!

Good stuff, but very expensive - I had a bad experience with it on some door handles, where it looked fine after application, but then within a few months turned into kind of crystalline finish with little sparkly specks in it. Not sure if this was to do with the material of the handles or not....

Cheers guys my door handles are terrible and the passenger door trim is well shall we say not very good it turns a off grey/ white.

i'm swaying towards Forever black. :scratch:

Keep the advise coming cheers again. :thumbleft:

I have found the Gtechniq to be excellent in some cases but it depends on the type of plastic it’s being applied to

Tried it on my door trims but it wasn’t great on them.

I can’t speak for the products above as I haven’t tried them, other than the C4 . I was told though as a general rule , that if plastic or rubber is faded to much nothing will bring it back .