mooG60

Alternator squeak

I have a squeak that I am fairly certain is coming from the alternator when I start the car up from cold. It stops after 5 minutes or so but is a sign that something needs attention.

I'm wondering is there is any thing I can do myself maintenance wise to try and clean and oil the parts inside......

Any advice please chaps?

I'd replace the belt as your first port of call, also check it's at the correct tension - on a 16v/G60 there is a tensioning bolt on the alternator mounting bracket, so it's the position of the alternator that determines the amount of slack, on a VR6 the belt tensioner is spring loaded, so no adjustment possible except belt replacement. Some say talcum powder on the belt is a temporary fix as well.

The belt is fairly new and feels tight enough, the squeak sounds to me as if it's coming from inside the alternator itself.

Having said that you may be right and I will have another look at it.

Thanks for the reply.

G60 is conventional V belt (Not multi V like VR6)? There's a fine line between belt slip and too tight accelerating front bearing wear on the alternator.

Grab the alternator pulley and push / pull to check for wear

G60 is multi rib belt, alternator runs off same belt as the supercharger so is tensioned by the auto tensioner.

Squeeking belt will be belt slip due to lack of tension or old belt, one of the two tensioner pulley bearings being knackered or alternator itself. When I had a noise from my belt it was a slightly bent alternator shaft which was moving the belt side to side on the tensioners causing the noise.

Not expensive to get alternator rebuilt.

Edited by Simeon

G60 is multi rib belt, alternator runs off same belt as the supercharger so is tensioned by the auto tensioner.

Sqweeking belt will be belt slip due to lack of tension or old belt, one of the two tensioner pulley bearings being knackered or alternator itself. When I had a noise from my belt it was a slightly bent alternator shaft which was moving the belt side to side on the tensioners causing the noise.

Not expensive to get alternator rebuilt.

So must have a separate belt for PAS? The pump I sold was conventional V belt

So must have a separate belt for PAS? The pump I sold was conventional V belt

Yes that's right, the pas pump is the only thing driven by a v-belt on the G60

Yep, I stand corrected! Goes to show that I don't have any direct experience of the G60, and was going on my old 1.8 8v PB Golf. They have a single V-belt for alternator and water pump, and when PAS is fitted you uses a double pulley and a second belt.

Interesting to know that the G60 setup is different even though based on the same basic block.