tony_ack

VR6 rear engine mount

Part number 1H0199262K

This is showing as obsolete at VW and is not listed at VW Classic parts. The only after market ones I can find are Topran (sigh), JP Group or Mapco.

Does anyone know of another source? Or which of the brands listed might be the best quality?

That's a shame - I guess Topran might even be ok for something simple like an engine mount, or maybe JP, but the only real way to find out is to fit them and see. Heritage seem to have the Topran in stock.

I was lucky and managed to replace all 3 or my mounts with genuine VAG items a couple of years ago, but they must have run out.

I usually try and go for Sachs/Febi/Bilstein or Lemforder when looking for suspension components or mounts, but someone else might have fitted one of these recently and might have some feedback.

Another option, if you can put up with a little bit cost and vibration in cabin is to go for an up-rated "road" mount, such as the Vibratechnics? Not my preference, but lots of people swear by them.

The rear engine mount isn't under a lot of stress due to the weight distribution over the front and gearbox mount holding the majority of it. I've got a vibratech fast road front and rear mount, and did have the gearbox one too but have gone back to OE as it's this one that causes the vast majority of vibration in the cabin. Vibratech are expensive so if it's just the rear you need, I think an aftermarket one should be perfectly fine for many years.

Think I had the JP group one fitted last year. Had a new Topran oil cooler installed and a couple of months later the cooler was leaking into the coolant , had to drain the whole system and then fitted a Hella oil cooler. I will never touch crapran again.

I usually try and go for Sachs/Febi/Bilstein or Lemforder when looking for suspension components or mounts, but someone else might have fitted one of these recently and might have some feedback.

Thanks, I usually try to go with Lemforder first if VW aren't avaialble/are prohibitively expensive, Febi sometimes too but they can be hit and miss. I know Meyle haven't got a lot of love on here, but when I had my Fabia VRS they supplied some really high quality parts, on a par with Lemforder, particularly their HD range. Unfortunately, not even the 'OE qaulity' aftermarket parts seem to be available.

The rear engine mount isn't under a lot of stress due to the weight distribution over the front and gearbox mount holding the majority of it. I've got a vibratech fast road front and rear mount, and did have the gearbox one too but have gone back to OE as it's this one that causes the vast majority of vibration in the cabin. Vibratech are expensive so if it's just the rear you need, I think an aftermarket one should be perfectly fine for many years.

I've got a Vibratech front mount - it increased vibration a tiny bit, but it made the whole front end seem a lot more connected (though that was compared to a worn original mount). For the high price versus seemingly little benefit for the rear mount, it's proabably not worth it.

Think I had the JP group one fitted last year. Had a new Topran oil cooler installed and a couple of months later the cooler was leaking into the coolant , had to drain the whole system and then fitted a Hella oil cooler. I will never touch crapran again.

I'll go for the JP Group one. I agree on Topran, in my Mk2 Golf days (going back 10 years now) the quality was awful and lots of parts just didn't fit or failed as soon as they were put under working strain. That said, I fitted a Topran crack pipe and ignition swith about 8 years ago, and they're still going strong! I would always only use as a last resort now.