Sign in to follow this  
dav

Two types of Aux Water Pump (Vr6)

Hello all.

I found a leek coming from the Aux Water Pump the other day, so I went to G&S to get another one.

£58 later :roll: I started to install it, I noticed that it looked a little different to the old unit, it looked slightly shorter. I just thought that this was a revised design so I carried on.

Completed the install and tried to plug the wires in and it would not fit, :? looked at the top of the plug and noticed that the new one has two plug guide channels (only way I can describe it) and the old one only has one.

Are there two types of Aux Water Pump?

Also there was a circular plug with loads of wires that is situated near the water pump, I unplugged this should I have?

Do I need to do an ECU re-set because of this?

Thanks

D.

I'd be very concerned if I found Leeks under my bonnet :lol:

Not sure about the variations in aux pumps, but there probably have been changes to them. What's the part number? If it ends with a B, it's been changed twice. If it's A, only one revision. I'd take it back and try and get an exact replacement. Try the dealer, only a tenner more than GSF and guaranteed to be correct.

The circular plug is the main engine harness. Unplugging that won't cause any harm and I think unplugging that resets the ECU anyway.

Thanks for the reply mate,

I have sent my mate down to G&S to see if they have another (correct) pump.

About the ECU re-set the reason I ask is that I put the old pump back and took the car out for a short test drive (temps remained ok, and did not lose much water) and the car seem to be running a bit off, as in it did not pull as much as it used to.

Is the cam position sensor near the Aux Water Pump, could I have knocked it a bit?

Or could I be imagining this limpness?

Thanks

D.

i bought a aux water pump from euro parts it was made by bosch and it wasnt the same as the old 1 it was smaller( the motor on it was smaller and the black plastic was bigger) it made it harder to get the rubber claps, it went on ok but not how it should .. the plugs on it were fine though, i asked vw main dealer n he said they may have chaged it but as long as it fits on its ok

Check this out,

My mate who went to G&S for me said that they did not have any other type of Aux water pump. :roll:

So I called a friend of mine who works at VW to see if the pump they have is any different, they had one in stock which was the first shock, the second shock was that the pump that they have is the same as the one I have. So a revision must have been made. The third shock is that after I explained the plug/connector problem, he said that I would have to change the plug/connector. He has the parts I need but I just hate messing with car wiring, probably get shock from that too.

There has been revisions the the aux pump on the vr6.

Trim the guide channels you talked about and the plug will fit on and stay on. I had the same problem when I changed my pump not so long ago. I used a sharp knife to get rid of the channel(s) and then plugged it on and its fine.

Just out of curiousity does you aux pump run with just the igntion on (car not started). It makes a mild hum when its working. Its a long story why I'm asking this, just something weird that happened to mine after it died on me.

Cheers

Timo.

That sounds a lot better that cutting and splicing on a new connector. Wish I had done that in the first place,

so it s gonna be back on with the new and out with the old - again. :roll:

The aux water pump does operate with just the ignition engaged, hope it still will.

Thanks

D.

Hmmm, jolly good. VW up to their old tricks again then.

Yes the Cam sensor is right above the Aux pump. If you knock the plug off that (hard to do tbh) then the funny you should mention limpness, because that's what you'll get - Limp mode (extra fuel and backed off ignition timing).

K

Trim the guide channels you talked about and the plug will fit on and stay on. I had the same problem when I changed my pump not so long ago. I used a sharp knife to get rid of the channel(s) and then plugged it on and its fine.

timo, just wondering if this is the reasoning for you aux pump not running.......vw didnt change the wiring order between the different pumps did they?? stranger things have happened.

I have a new aux pump in the garage that i bought from VW as the old one is sounding a little unhealthy, havent got round to fitting yet, but this talk of differnt pumps made me go and have a look. The new pump is the same as the old pump and I have the connector with the humps.

Only two wires going to the pump so disregard my statement on the last post as the worst that could happen is the pump will be running backwards if you got the connector on the wrong way.

The new pump has the following part number for ref 251 965 561 B, it has a bosch motor.

Sounds like the same one I have, do you think that the year the car was made would also have something to do with the connector types used? My car is a late 93 model. Do you think that the mighty VW decided to change pump types at a certain year (registration point) and the drop the older one out of circulation?

I would like to have the pump work with just the ignition engaged as per normal, I will try and extend the contact points from the connector with some wire and see if it works as it should with the new one.

I've also just fitted a new aux pump & the one I got (from the stealer) was slightly different. It had a wider lower plastic shoulder than the old one which meant I had to trim some of the lower rubber mounting to get it to line up with the mounting holes on the bracket. It works fine though once fitted. Runs constantly with ignition on, as it should AFAIK.

Cheers,

Robbo

timo, just wondering if this is the reasoning for you aux pump not running.......vw didnt change the wiring order between the different pumps did they?? stranger things have happened.

Doesn't get any power to the connector anymore. When the pump went I tested the voltage to be sure the pump had gone. There was power. I didn't change the pump for about a month (lazy boy!!) and when I finally got around to changing it there was no longer any power getting to the connector and the pump no longer works.

Weird eh!!! But get this, it does work if the fans are working from the run-on cooling system. I.e. you have stop the car, turned it off and the run-on system still thinks the engine is too warm. It works then but a no other time. I reckon the problem is the run-on relay box that sits in front of the expansion tank.

Timo.

you've blown a fuse mate... the run on system has it's own fuse...

My bet is that the old pump siezed up completely in the end and drew too much current blowing the fuse, now that the new pump is in there, there's still a dead fuse so it's not working... 8)

surely it wouldn't work when the run-on kicked in?!! You can see the fuse on the top of the fan relay. It looks fine to me, but I could try and bridge it I suppose. Doesn't matter anyway. The vr is off the road anyway, sat in a nice dry garage having a well deserved rest. Filled on the SORN declaration today :cry: .

Still have the g60 to keep me occupied. Love it to bits. What a beast, better than I ever imagined :mrgreen:

Timo.

Nah, there's 2 fuses for the fan anyway, one for normal running and one for the run on circuit... I'd bet there's also a normal blade fuse in the fusebox which has blown and is stopping the pump from running... Worth a check anyway... ;)

Checked fusebox, but didn't know there was two fuses though. Chears for that!!! Might have a look at some point

Timo.