ABV-VR6

My long term VR6 Project

6 hours ago, Cressa said:

ABV, you put me to shame mate. Your motor is absolutely awesome.  We know  high standards when we see them, and your motor exceeds that.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Thank mate, that's so nice. I did worked my butt off for years, I'm realizing a old dream and wanted to make it right just like the way I envisioned it. It was tough and a big challenge but I wanted to know the car and now I do, well for the most part. I  didn't wanted any regrets so I took my time to build it and also to have the budget for every steps. I'm proud to have done it all. Cheers!

Last photo shoot before storage, winter will be long! Too bad for the timing but winter is around the corner now, not the best to do a break-in. I ran into a few issued that are now fixed. Leaking/dried up fuel lines at the flange in the trunk, just had to install new clamps that was easy. High idle is resolve as well and now engine just purr at 760 steady. What am I going to do with my free time now??? I feel like my child just left home and I don't know what to do with myself!

IMG_20221005_132007118_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221005_132539145_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20221005_132547145_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221005_132755662_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20221005_132849996_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20221005_132953247_HDR~2.jpg

On 3/24/2022 at 4:59 PM, ABV-VR6 said:

You know mate, I didn't get it blasted. Mostly a lot of scrubbing with degreaser, pressure wash when the transmission was empty. Then hot tank prior to spray paint with a special paint for the case. Rest is powder coated. Well, there's was a long debate about this stainless in aluminum on the FB Canada group a year ago. I'm not going to change everything all over again, these are to stay and we'll see with time what happens... 

Hi, Great job, I initially looked into getting the Gearbox casing Vapour (Aqua) blasted, but as a whole unit, blocking off all the apertures etc, but the blaster's quoted cost would have been a bit too much (£220+), possibly they didn't want the job due to the cumbersome / heavy nature of it, anyway so I am now thinking of painting it like you, so you mention a "special paint" for the Casing, I know there are lots of "Aluminium" paints out there, but can I ask what did you use ?

On 2/18/2023 at 3:55 PM, twinbeltg60 said:

Hi, Great job, I initially looked into getting the Gearbox casing Vapour (Aqua) blasted, but as a whole unit, blocking off all the apertures etc, but the blaster's quoted cost would have been a bit too much (£220+), possibly they didn't want the job due to the cumbersome / heavy nature of it, anyway so I am now thinking of painting it like you, so you mention a "special paint" for the Casing, I know there are lots of "Aluminium" paints out there, but can I ask what did you use ?

You're probably right, they didn't wanted to deal with it... It's heavy and it's loaded with small details. I think it's a great winter project personally. I took my time, even smoothed the casting with a Dremel equipped with sanding drums and a file. These are things only you can do and takes it to another level once completed. A good degreaser, brushes and patience and nothing is stopping you! 

As for the paint, here in Canada POR15 is the best brand. I think your equivalent may be Hammerite or something like that? Anyway, I knew some kind of special paint was needed for the transmission as you want it to be able to still evacuate the heat. That's the most important thing, second is being oil repellent. So I reached out to them and this can in the picture is what they recommended and nothing else from there long list of products. 

https://por15canada.ca/store/por15-detail-paint-aerosol.html

IMG_20230222_113556549.jpg

1 hour ago, ABV-VR6 said:

You're probably right, they didn't wanted to deal with it... It's heavy and it's loaded with small details. I think it's a great winter project personally. I took my time, even smoothed the casting with a Dremel equipped with sanding drums and a file. These are things only you can do and takes it to another level once completed. A good degreaser, brushes and patience and nothing is stopping you! 

As for the paint, here in Canada POR15 is the best brand. I think your equivalent may be Hammerite or something like that? Anyway, I knew some kind of special paint was needed for the transmission as you want it to be able to still evacuate the heat. That's the most important thing, second is being oil repellent. So I reached out to them and this can in the picture is what they recommended and nothing else from there long list of products. 

https://por15canada.ca/store/por15-detail-paint-aerosol.html

IMG_20230222_113556549.jpg

Hi, 

Thanks for the response, that POR15 Detail paint is available in the UK, around £35.00 from Frost Restoration co over here, so that's probably what I will use, interesting you used "Stainless Steel" shade, I would probably have gone for Cast Aluminium, but maybe that would look a bit dull, I will have to decide.

Attached a couple of pics so you can see what i am starting with.

Anyway, thanks again, much appreciated.

Cheers.

20221026_141301.jpg

20221026_141233.jpg

Oh that's great that it is available in the UK, I didn't know that! It was a debate with myself between stainless steel and cast aluminum. Naturally you tend towards cast aluminum but it's too shiny for my liking. This is just a tad more subtle and I'm liking the result 100%, no regrets at all! The black 5th cover, I had it powder coated but that's because I had a batch of parts going to the powder coater. 

You're starting with a way cleaner transmission than I did. You'll do great! I'll see if I can find a picture of mine when I started the work... 

Cheers! 

Ah, yes saw that pic earlier, i had cleaned the Gearbox up , underneath was not too bad due to VW Wax, and oil leaks from the Cam Cover, up top had been affected by salt, but , yes, its not bad compared to some.

So bearing in mind what you said about the color choice, I will probably go with the Stainless option as well, it does look good on yours.

Very glad that due to all the enthusiast owners across the world , like yourself, these cars are not fading away like some cars of the past...

Cheers.

22 hours ago, twinbeltg60 said:

Ah, yes saw that pic earlier, i had cleaned the Gearbox up , underneath was not too bad due to VW Wax, and oil leaks from the Cam Cover, up top had been affected by salt, but , yes, its not bad compared to some.

So bearing in mind what you said about the color choice, I will probably go with the Stainless option as well, it does look good on yours.

Very glad that due to all the enthusiast owners across the world , like yourself, these cars are not fading away like some cars of the past...

Cheers.

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it. 

Honestly, I do think the stainless is the right color. The picture of the final product you've seen is not altered, just taken with a phone in the sunshine so it is what you will get. 

While you're there, as a mentioned yesterday it's worth taking a couple of hours to smooth out the casing or at least doing the top portion. The casting marks are pretty rough and will be accentuated with the new paint job. 

Reach out if you have other questions, happy to help. Cheers 

JF your car,and developments you've completed, are really a top reference point. I would be delighted if mine was ever even 50% of yours

8 hours ago, fla said:

JF your car,and developments you've completed, are really a top reference point. I would be delighted if mine was ever even 50% of yours

Thanks Hasan, that's nice to hear. I did put in a lot of hours to realize that dream. You've been a great part of the puzzle as well and I'm very thankful. 

Twinbeltg60: I forgot to say that POR15 degreaser is also a real game changer, worth buying it. In contrast to the previous product I was using, it got 3 to 5 more grease out in the same amount of time. 

On 2/24/2023 at 4:38 PM, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks Hasan, that's nice to hear. I did put in a lot of hours to realize that dream. You've been a great part of the puzzle as well and I'm very thankful. 

Twinbeltg60: I forgot to say that POR15 degreaser is also a real game changer, worth buying it. In contrast to the previous product I was using, it got 3 to 5 more grease out in the same amount of time. 

Ok,  thanks again, will bear that in mind for the future...cheers.

On 12/17/2020 at 5:11 PM, ABV-VR6 said:

And.... up to the next update!
Next after the interior, I've been working from the bottom up. Everything is remove in the engine bay.
I started with my conversion from ABS to non-ABS. First the ABS has only one line that goes to the rear and I decided to install two lines for safety sake.
-I bought everything new: ATE booster, ATE master cylinder upgraded from 22.5mm to 23.8mm for added braking power, ATE master cylinder.
-I also sourced an OEM brake reservoir and cap.
This was my first time making brake lines. I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. I do some plumbing here and there at work so I tough it was kind of similar.
I made a cheap brake line straightener with bearings from Amazon and left over hard maple from the stairs, worked fantastic!

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

Hi ABV, 

Sorry but I have another question for you, what dimension bearings did you use for your brake line straightening tool, as I intend to do my own brake lines, and was toying with the idea of making a tool like yours, the bearings I was thinking of have a 4.5mm groove , ( as the brake line is 4.75mm) or if possible can you provide a link to the items you used ?

Cheers.

Don't be sorry, I'm happy to help and if my build can help you out. That tool was cheap to make and a real game changer. Use solid wood like oak or maple. I frequently do plumbing work with my work but this was my first time doing brake lines. You take it off and mimic it, super easy, not even a leak on the lines. A pressure bleeder was a wise investment mate. 

Here's the link to the bearings I got: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B014884ZYG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Line was a mix of copper and nickel, link won't work anymore sorry

22 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Don't be sorry, I'm happy to help and if my build can help you out. That tool was cheap to make and a real game changer. Use solid wood like oak or maple. I frequently do plumbing work with my work but this was my first time doing brake lines. You take it off and mimic it, super easy, not even a leak on the lines. A pressure bleeder was a wise investment mate. 

Here's the link to the bearings I got: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B014884ZYG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Line was a mix of copper and nickel, link won't work anymore sorry

Hi, 

Wow, thanks for the real quick reply, and the link did work, bearings are M8x30x10 with a 6mm groove, I have now ordered similar ones from Amazon UK, similar price too, £14 ish for 10, next day delivery, thanks a lot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kozelo-10pcs-U608ZZ-U-Groove-Bearing

I am probably going to regret it but my intention is to use OEM steel line, already bought full quantity needed from AUTODOC, manufactured by ATE, green coating, with new ATE nuts also, I hope I don't regret going this route, bought a Vice fixed line forming tool for the flares, and it takes some effort on steel, on Kunifer it is a doddle.!

Cheers.

I think has long as you have a good flare tool and take your time you should be fine. But it is the hardest to flare. That said, what you got is probably the better choice for UK weather. Do a lot of practices and you'll be a pro. Keep me posted, cheers 

Alright...keeping this alive!
Winter is here and I get some free time to do a major project for the car. Might be one of my most audacious one, well maybe second! I've worked on the engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, pretty much everything to give a solid foundation  to the car. Now that I am missing working on it, it's time for me to work on the cosmetic part of it. I started this project with the idea that I would be doing everything myself, while it creates some ups and downs, I've learned a lot. It's a good feeling to do the work yourself as well. So this new project is definitely not cost effective, it's tough but I like it and if I can materialize my vision it's going to be amazing. So Recaro seats it is! I bought 2 front Recaro UV and a rear bench, Golf Rallye fabric and genuine upholstery leather and an industrial sewing machine. That's the project! I wish I could find Recaro UV fabric (my original vision was black leather bolsters with UV centers) anyways I can't find the fabric anywhere and the one that came on the seat is in rough condition... I do like the Rallye fabric a lot though, grey and black with those subtle red stripes it's going to look sharp on my silver car. Here's a few pictures. I spent about 4 days on this so far, one more day and the pattern will be completed. I'm hoping to get this done by February. I'll be doing the rear bench as well. Cheers!

IMG_20230620_142803170.jpg

20231231_152753.jpg

20240112_100354.jpg

20240112_115711(1).jpg

20240112_100335.jpg

Hi, ABV,

That is quite an audacious project, like you I was after UV Recaro's but long unobtainable, so I will stick with my factory chairs.

Wish you all the success with it though, and thanks for keeping us informed.

You might remember me posting about brake piping, well soon after that  I did make up a straightening tool, from steel offcuts of square section tube, and did all the brake lines (4.75mm), clutch feed pipe (6mm) in factory steel, not turned out too bad at all. took a fair bit of time, the rear axle feed's to caliper's were blooming awkward!

Also painted the gearbox and re-plated the bolts using my DIY kit, must post some pics up.

3 hours ago, twinbeltg60 said:

Hi, ABV,

That is quite an audacious project, like you I was after UV Recaro's but long unobtainable, so I will stick with my factory chairs.

Wish you all the success with it though, and thanks for keeping us informed.

You might remember me posting about brake piping, well soon after that  I did make up a straightening tool, from steel offcuts of square section tube, and did all the brake lines (4.75mm), clutch feed pipe (6mm) in factory steel, not turned out too bad at all. took a fair bit of time, the rear axle feed's to caliper's were blooming awkward!

Also painted the gearbox and re-plated the bolts using my DIY kit, must post some pics up.

20230709_120116.jpg

20230709_120208.jpg

20240113_123806.jpg

20240113_123947.jpg

20240113_131834.jpg

2 minutes ago, twinbeltg60 said:

20230709_120116.jpg

20230709_120208.jpg

20240113_123806.jpg

20240113_123947.jpg

20240113_131834.jpg

Not the best of pics, but I blame the low winter sun etc...!

No space in my small garage to photo these, middle pic of brake lines shows the pipe end crimp, this was not easy, steel is pretty hard to work with, if you don't have factory hydraulic presses.

Looks really mate. The transmission turned out really good. And you must be pleased those lines are finished. I agree, the rears are the worst with all those bends. And ya, steel is way harder to flare compared to what I used so good for you to make it happen! Cheers 

I've done a side projects meanwhile. New knob and boot. Turned out pretty good! 

20240115_115839.jpg