Sign in to follow this  
tony_ack

Anti roll bar bushes

I'm trying to get these changed over. I got the old ones out (bit of a squeeze, and have a new pair ready to go on.

They're a tight fit, as I was expecting. The ones I ordered were as listed on ETKA for the car, to replace 191411314. These are listed as 17mm internal diameter, which I think is smaller than the ARB.

Are they definitely the right ones? I just assumed that they'd be compressed when installed. They look like the ones I took off, but the part number on the old ones is worn away

Also, what's the best way to get them on? I've removed all the bolts at the rear of the subframe, and backed the front bolts (the ones into the chassis leg near the engine mounts?) off a couple of turns, but it's really tight for access - I can't even get the clamp over the bush, without a lot of heaving, let alone get the clamp tight enough to get the bolt through.

1 hour ago, tony_ack said:

I'm trying to get these changed over. I got the old ones out (bit of a squeeze, and have a new pair ready to go on.

They're a tight fit, as I was expecting. The ones I ordered were as listed on ETKA for the car, to replace 191411314. These are listed as 17mm internal diameter, which I think is smaller than the ARB.

Are they definitely the right ones? I just assumed that they'd be compressed when installed. They look like the ones I took off, but the part number on the old ones is worn away

Also, what's the best way to get them on? I've removed all the bolts at the rear of the subframe, and backed the front bolts (the ones into the chassis leg near the engine mounts?) off a couple of turns, but it's really tight for access - I can't even get the clamp over the bush, without a lot of heaving, let alone get the clamp tight enough to get the bolt through.

I bought mine under that part number in 2012, they’re a tight fit but not impossible.  The ARB, part 14 on the print of ETKA I’m looking at says it’s p/n 1H0411309F and that it’s 20mm. Can’t see that uses 17mm bushes?

Edited by tonedef

Thanks Tony,

Yep, that's the ARB part number, I cross referenced the bush part number with Dr. Google and it brings up 17mm in the part descriptions. Anyway, I'm fairly comfortable they're the right ones now, they just need a bit of a squeeze.

I think I just need to drop the subframe a bit more to get better access, it's not like I'm in a rush to go anywhere at the moment.

Put them in boiling water to soften them a little?

Also I’ve used mole grips to tighten the clamps up prior to fitting the bolts on other vws, just in the corner of the clamp leaving the bolt hole for the bolt

I had a bit of a mare with them too, and that was with the whole subframe off! As mentioned, a couple of clamps on the corners of the bracket managed it eventually. Just be careful the bolt goes in straight and you don't cross thread it.

I can't even get the bush and clamp anywhere near its slot, it's about 1cm too big. I'm not missin anything obvious am I? Subfame bolts are all out, and I've got a tennis ball wedged in to keep the subfame down.

bushes.jpg

I’ll post a pic tonight after work of how mine are fitted

Hi Dox, don't worry about it mate, I've done it!

So, basically I needed to take out all the subframe bolts, and then wedged a tennis ball between the chassis and the rear subframe mount to keep it down

Then I put the bushes around the bar, but let it all hang down, so the split was facing down. I put the clamps into their slots, and pushed the bushed ARB towards them, just to keep them up.

Then it was just a lot of heaving, a bit of washing up liquid as lube, and a flat blad screwdriver, first pushing the bushes into the clamps, so thy were seated in them more or less correctly, but still pointing down,  and then using the screwdriver to start rotating them to the right position. The clamps kind of help them move in the right direction, but the bushes need help. I ended up with a big split at the front of the bush at one point, and a gap at the back of the bar, but just kept working at it from the top and the bottom , occasionally pulling the ARB back, rotating it, then using the screwdriver to push the bush back in.and round. By the time I'd done, the split was where it should have been and was closed. 

Then it was just a case of getting the G-clamp over the clamp, and tightening it enough to get the bolt in. 

I raised the subframe again, wiggling a screwdriver to make sure the holes were lined up, and feeding the bolts in. They all went in with no resistence whatsoever - a tip for anyone else is that if your bolts feel tight, they're not going in right!

It took about an hour in the end once I'd worked out how to do it!

The worst thing was that when I finally did work it out, I remembered that I'd done the job before on a MK2 Golf.

Edited by tony_ack

18 minutes ago, tony_ack said:

The worst thing was that when I finally did work it out, I remmbered that I'd done the job before on a MK2 Golf.

😂😂😂

Don’t you just love it when that happens! At least they’re done now.