Helmert3

2.0 8V Opinions

Heyo lads saw a nice Corrado 2l 8V for sale locally, and although it's done a few miles, it looks mechanically simple, and pretty decent.

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on that variant. Cheers

11 minutes ago, Helmert3 said:

Heyo lads saw a nice Corrado 2l 8V for sale locally, and although it's done a few miles, it looks mechanically simple, and pretty decent.

Was wondering if anyone had any opinions on that variant. Cheers

Probably the rarest engine code corrado model but at the same time the least desired, never owned one but Im sure a few on here have and can advise. 

Looks a decent enough and unmodified example from the pics and fairly priced. Mileage is probably about average I'd say, and the 8v engines are very common (more or less the same as the MK3 Golf GTI) so should be a decent amount of spare parts and cheap to replace anything that needs doing. I had a Golf with the 8v lump, and sure it would never set the world alight but they're really good all rounders in my opinion. It depends how you want to use the car and what your expectations are with regard to performance. If it's close to you I'd say it's at least worth a look. As with anything this age, check for rust at the sills, fuel filler neck and around the windscreen. Check all electrics work, especially sunroof and heater dials. A lot of parts are obsolete including parts for those, so it'll be very difficult to fix. Other than that, buy on condition as mentioned, the engine and running gear are relatively cheap to sort compared to bodywork. Best of luck. 👍

It's a nice looking motor and also on ebay. Pictures always look better though but definitely worth a look. Check its History with the MOT checker and look at the usual Corrado problems. As above, I I've never had the 8v and hopefully someone will comment. At the end of the day, 30mph and 70mph max on our roads, so perfectly fine. 

And if it doesn't have a sunroof, then bonus.  Happy decision making,

Go see it 😊

Cheers fellas, not looking for phenominal performance, mostly just for the Corrado experience, and from what i have found online that older 8v Engine seems to be damn near impossible to kill.

My first Rado was an 8v and I loved it. As said, don't be expecting any real performance but if you aren't really fused about speed its perfect to cruise around in. 

7 hours ago, Helmert3 said:

Anything i should really look for specific to an 8Valve?

Nothing much specific for the 8v. Just check the usual for cam belt, oil leaks - especially the breather (little black box on top of engine) pipework as the do soften and split over time, which can lead to a bit of a mess in the engine bay and oil smell in the cabin. My first engine actually died after oil cooler failure (bought a replacement including all ancillaries for £80 delivered!) so check oil and coolant for cross contamination. That's about it really.

Heyo everyone an update on this. Went to take a look, and it seemed fantastic. Temp Gauge was a bit slow moving (So most likely a dashboard fauly) as engine was smooth, and Oil Temp sat at the standard Corrado Temps according to the MFA. Car was sat a bit high, and definitely needed lowering back to stock. But the one major issue with it was no adjustable steering wheel. Couldn't move my legs off the clutch enough to drive the car, even with the seat all the way back.

Shame but i reckon ill have to keep on looking. Thanks for the help everyone

Temp gauge does take a good while to get up, especially as the 8v is pretty small so within 10 mins (closer to 5 in this weather) is normal. Just look out that it doesn't drop when underway, the raises to the 90 again when stationary. Not a huge problem, just indicates a faulty thermostat which is pretty common (I've never had a VAG car that didn't require one replacing at some point over the 15 years I've been driving).  Stock height for the cars is especially high. The last year or so of manufacture even more so for some reason. Did you question the adjustable column? Reason is that a lot of people have locked them in place as the adjustment mechanism develops play over the years which is an MOT failure, so it may be able to be adjusted to suit you then locked back in place. 

Did question it, unfortunately the cost to put it all back would have put the car out of budget. Couldnt have seen any way to adjust the column, as i reckon it has been changed at some point given that the Steering Wheel is also at an offset. I have however noticed a 2.0 16v Coming up for auction next month which might be a better bet .

Cheers for all the help fellas really do appreciate it

8v owner here.

Summed up perfectly above.

Great car, engine/running gear parts easy to source, frugal to run (33 mpg commute for 6 miles and 45 mpg on the motorway). And yes I’ve got the flack jacket ready, a better standard drive through twisty country lanes than VR6.

Easy to work on and lots of space around the engine bay (hence why they take an age for the temp to raise when driven).

I wouldn’t worry too much about the     steering (I’ve bolted mine) as it makes a huge difference to driver “feel”, along with pleasing the MOT tester. And can be adjusted to suit quite easily (once you have your preferred seating rake then you tend not to deviate). The alternative is the (fixed) polo method.

Two engine choices: 2E (94) and ADY (95). Both from the mark 3/3.5 golf. Both incredibly reliable and capable of impressive mileage (though get used to people getting a buzz off asking “is it a VR6” ? viewing their disappointment when you say no, but desperately attempt to extoll the virtues of an 8v ) 

As with any car this age, the bits you can see, get most of the attention. Poke around underneath with a pick/inspection lamp and check the notorious grot spots (lower arches, sills ) Otherwise you could be in the same position as mine (check my current 8v thread). And I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

These cars require you to get involved and learn their traits/foibles. It’s half the fun. Or half the pain. Depends if your a half glass full person or not.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Edited by James.

Well, after reading all the above, I took the plunge and went for this. The steering column wasn’t an issue for me, the more so as my 95 model brochure/price list show an adjustable column was an option on an 8v. The bean counters really had gone mad by that stage then. No wonder they never let a successor car see the light of day ☹️

Enjoy the car mate. Seemed lovely when i went to see it. Just wasnt to be with me, and the non adjustable steering wheel.

I had an 8v for a couple of years which i ran as a daily. It was fantastic. I much prefer it to a 16v for the power delivery. It was a doddle to work on and as stated above mechanical parts are easy to come by.

Enjoy the new car.

Cheers Helmert. Best of luck with your search- hopefully as lockdown eases there will be more cars put up for sale. Are you still interested in the auction 16v?