Stone0311

G60 Powersteering pump alignment

Hi All,

Re-assembled my power steering pump and for some reason its not aligned with the pulley on the crank, Etka shows a spacer but i never had one - can anyone post any pics of this area so i can check the arrangement?

Thx 

Capture.PNG

Is the pulley concave or the mounting point offset to one side? I know on the VR6 that if the pulley is the wrong way around, it's off by a few mm and causes the belt to screech.

Hi Sean, pulley is flat but seems to be about 10mm different (see below - you can see the other pulley in the background)IMG_20200703_201929.jpg

Yeah looking at the bolt heads on the PAS pulley, it looks like it's centred to the outer side if you get what I mean. Flip the pulley round and it may line up. 

No closer to resolving this one, there's no offset on the pulley so reversing it makes no difference. Any pics appreciated just to check arrangement. Thx

Where's the pump driven off? From memory its a different vee belt than the multi vee that runs everything else (I can only see multi vee pulleys)?

Edit. Pic I've found online shows a second pulley fitted to the crank for the PAS pump?

Edited by Dox

Hi Dox,

Yes its as you note above, second pulley on the outside of the crank with a small belt that runs to the PAS pump (pic below); for some reason i have a difference in alignment of about 10mm that looks odd and not sure it is correct.

Thx

IMG_20200525_201807.jpg

6 minutes ago, Stone0311 said:

Hi Dox,

Yes its as you note above, second pulley on the outside of the crank with a small belt that runs to the PAS pump (pic below); for some reason i have a difference in alignment of about 10mm that looks odd and not sure it is correct.

Thx

IMG_20200525_201807.jpg

The tensioner bolt looks like it needs to push against something to pivot and apply tension? Is everything assembled properly?

1 hour ago, Dox said:

The tensioner bolt looks like it needs to push against something to pivot and apply tension? Is everything assembled properly?

I think the bolt will pivot against the black fork like bracket that we can see the bolt going through.

Looks to me as if you've got the early type pulley on, that should have a spacer plate behind it to kick it out more, i.e making it level with your crankshaft pulley.

I've had a quick look on ETKA but it doesn't list the spacer plate, but does show it in the diagram.

Early pulley 027 145 255  should have spacer plate with this one, as this pulley has a shallow centre.

Later type pulley 051 145 255 this has a raised offset centre, making it kick out level with crankshaft pulley. The spacer plate is not required for this pulley.

This is all I can think of unless the power steering pump is new and slightly different, or has been bolted up differently, but I can't see it's that because the adjustment bolt and bracket all line up.

Hope this helps

Si 

Thanks Si, Dox,

Original PAS pump so there shouldn't be any difference there; the arrangement of the rest looks right against ETKA, Bentley etc and sits right on the engine - I agree it can only be the spacer.

I'll have another hunt and check there isn't a spacer mixed up with some other parts 👍

18 hours ago, Stone0311 said:

Thanks Si, Dox,

Original PAS pump so there shouldn't be any difference there; the arrangement of the rest looks right against ETKA, Bentley etc and sits right on the engine - I agree it can only be the spacer.

I'll have another hunt and check there isn't a spacer mixed up with some other parts 👍

I've been looking on the VW Classic Parts site to see if there's any other information, this is what I found.

Pulley with part number 027 145 255 (overall width/thickness 11mm to 12mm) diameter of whole pulley 98mm

Pulley with part number 051 145 255 (overall width/thickness 19mm to 20mm) diameter of whole pulley 95mm

hope this helps

si