m477

Noob Checkin In

So at my second attempt at buying a Corrado VR6, the first being when I was living in Florida 15 years ago.  The I saw this one on Fleabay, phoned the owner and had a good chat with him about the car and today went up to see it and go for a test drive.  No pics yet but those taken from the add.  The interior is good - it even has the original tape deck!  Externally the metalwork is in good condition for a 26 year old car with no rust.  The bumpers are showing their age though, and will need some TLC down the line.  There are 5 Porsche D90 wheels with tyres that have only done 400 miles.  Mechanically the car is very nice and where the previous own has done a lot of work.  Some of the work that's been done: brakes are 312mm discs up front with Audi TT mk1/S3 callipers, Golf mk4 aluminium callipers at the back, all with Goodridge stainless lines. Also had the ABS pump rebuilt. The coilovers are ST with height and rebound adjustment. Full Milltek exhaust including Milltek cat.  The front subframe and suspension is all new and has been power coated.

So the deposit is paid, I just need to finalise the sale of my car and arrange a day to collect.  There are only 3 things I will need to do pretty soon after buying: a full oil and filter change, fix / relpace sunroof motor and replace the idle control valve.  Bring it on

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Matt

Looks like the seller of the car has carried out some great renovation work to the car- pretty sure I can see a new rad in there. Looks like the paint if fresh to - I would say they have spent a lot of money on this car at least 7k plus/ 

Edited by Keyo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

Looks like the seller of the car has carried out some great renovation work to the car- pretty sure I can see a new rad in there. Looks like the paint if fresh to - I would say they have spent a lot of money on this car at least 7k plus/ 

Yes, I'd say so, the front sub frame is all new too and has been powder coated along with various other bits.  I think I got quite a good deal for it.

Looks a great example, well done. Be careful with the sunroof. A mk3 golf unit swaps straight in. Do you know if the mechanism is working fine? If it is faulty and you wind it back electrically it could damage the sunroof panel.... perhaps try doing it manually first using the Allen key at the sunroof motor. 

Fingers crossed that it is ok, preventative maintenance, lube the runner channels. Even better, take the lot out, strip it down, clean it, then lube it. Big job but worth it in the long term. Too many are broken out there and no spares are available 

Great car 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cressa said:

Looks a great example, well done. Be careful with the sunroof. A mk3 golf unit swaps straight in. Do you know if the mechanism is working fine? If it is faulty and you wind it back electrically it could damage the sunroof panel.... perhaps try doing it manually first using the Allen key at the sunroof motor. 

Fingers crossed that it is ok, preventative maintenance, lube the runner channels. Even better, take the lot out, strip it down, clean it, then lube it. Big job but worth it in the long term. Too many are broken out there and no spares are available 

Great car 👍

Thanks, from what I understand from the previous owner its the motor that has died a death and has been disconnected (I believe he had it all out and serviced it), I will do as you suggest and wind it back slowly with an allen key listening for any grinding, thanks for the suggestion.  I shall connect it back up and try tilting it up if that fails then its new motor time

It's not so much the going back, as the coming forward that's the issue. It's common for the mechanism to break on the LH side and start raising as it gets halfway closed so scratches the panel. As mentioned, do it manually then remove the motor but leave the cable connected, and try it without the load of the mech to see if it works.

Edited by seanl82

17 hours ago, m477 said:

Thanks, from what I understand from the previous owner its the motor that has died a death and has been disconnected (I believe he had it all out and serviced it), I will do as you suggest and wind it back slowly with an allen key listening for any grinding, thanks for the suggestion.  I shall connect it back up and try tilting it up if that fails then its new motor time

I meant a mk3 golf motor was a straight swap over.