Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost

Hi all, i need the tool used to remove the interior panel of the sunroof the centre section that tilts and slides back and has the same material as roof lining or would do if the adhesive hadnt given up after 27yrs.

You don't really need the tool  - the inner panel can be detached/pulled from the metal outer, rotated 90 degrees, and will then slide out to the front.

I know with my golf MK2 golf you turn the handle so the sunroof is right back and pull down on the trim and then turn the handle back the other way and it clicks off.  

As fendervg says, it’s really easy to remove the liner, no tools required. Tilt the sunroof, slide the liner backwards simply by pushing the frame and it come unclipped from the roof, slide it into the roof space and rotate 90 degrees until it will feed forwards and out.

Just don’t force anything, the mechanism is made of what we always referred to as “monkey metal”, you don’t want to break any of the bits, trust me. I had to drill and tap one side of mine to fix it back together with an M3 countersink screw and locktite after getting too hasty one time!