g0ldf1ng3r

Triple relay uprated headlight looms

Hi All.

Long story short i had a cable routing issue & have inadvertently rubbed through my uprated headlight loom 😞

On a whim i sent KUR2Y an email, as he used to be a member on here & made the looms i run in both my corrado's - he has done several groups buys on here

He has kindly agreed to make me a new one & is considering making a batch, so....

Would anyone on here like a 3 relay uprated loom?  Main benefit of a 3 relay over the usual 2 relay ones knocking about is that if 1 relay fails you only loose one side dipped beam rather than both sides going & leaving you in the dark or on high beam

they are not normally made with OE connectors to the headlights themselves but ive never had any issues with my 2

not sure on price yet but im sure they will be very reasonable 

Pls see last post on the thread for info on the pricing - Edit it is gone already lol

Sounds interesting - but I think OE connectors at the headlight end are pretty important if you can get hold of them, because from experience I've had spade type terminals work loose or become corroded in the past.

There's a German company on fleabay that sell 4-relay, 4 fuse loom, fully waterproofed and in a box with the OE connectors, at both ends - even the ones going to the original loom - I don't know where they managed to get that one, probably 3D printed - I cut up a damaged headlight unit to connect my uprated loom. But the German one is very pricey - SC Tuning was the company I think - I managed to pick up one second-hand that was never fitted and will see if I can dig it out for some pictures. From what I remember it actually has the male connectors at both ends, where one is just wired for the sidelights - lol this thread just reminded me that I should think about fitting it some day!

23 hours ago, fendervg said:

Sounds interesting - but I think OE connectors at the headlight end are pretty important if you can get hold of them, because from experience I've had spade type terminals work loose or become corroded in the past.

There's a German company on fleabay that sell 4-relay, 4 fuse loom, fully waterproofed and in a box with the OE connectors, at both ends - even the ones going to the original loom - I don't know where they managed to get that one, probably 3D printed - I cut up a damaged headlight unit to connect my uprated loom. But the German one is very pricey - SC Tuning was the company I think - I managed to pick up one second-hand that was never fitted and will see if I can dig it out for some pictures. From what I remember it actually has the male connectors at both ends, where one is just wired for the sidelights - lol this thread just reminded me that I should think about fitting it some day!

i understand your point, personally ive never had an issue with either of the spade connector versions ive been running for many years

ive not looked for OE connectors but may have a quick search

Please put me down for one if it doesn't require any drilling to mount.

Also +1 on OE connectors, if an option. When available I presume these would be up to the task at the headlight end: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-OE-Quality-Corrado-E-Code-Headlight-Plug-Connector-Wiring-Terminals-/322012821152 (at a cost that might only make it feasible for DIY right now)

1 hour ago, gotvach said:

Please put me down for one if it doesn't require any drilling to mount.

Also +1 on OE connectors, if an option. When available I presume these would be up to the task at the headlight end: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-OE-Quality-Corrado-E-Code-Headlight-Plug-Connector-Wiring-Terminals-/322012821152 (at a cost that might only make it feasible for DIY right now)

hello m8

no drilling etc is required to fit, it is possible to install by only removing the grill

thanks for the link on the OE connectors - i will forward it to kurzy who is making them - though obviously at £15 for just the connectors it will inflate the cost BUT would potentially be nice to have proper connectors

You should be able to get connectors for something more like €4 each, cheaper in bulk - I bet there are a few VAG cars in China or South America using them. That kit is aimed at the US market where a popular mod is to convert to European spec (E-Code) headlights - hence the need for new connectors and the price, although I see it comes with the pins and grommets too.

As said above, they are not absolutely necessary, but a nice addition and make the uprated loom more OEM. BTW the quality of kurzy's loom is highly spoken of on here, so you won't be disappointed.

18 hours ago, fendervg said:

You should be able to get connectors for something more like €4 each, cheaper in bulk - I bet there are a few VAG cars in China or South America using them. That kit is aimed at the US market where a popular mod is to convert to European spec (E-Code) headlights - hence the need for new connectors and the price, although I see it comes with the pins and grommets too.

As said above, they are not absolutely necessary, but a nice addition and make the uprated loom more OEM. BTW the quality of kurzy's loom is highly spoken of on here, so you won't be disappointed.

i am going to have a look for the connectors fendervg but the link was for rayne automotive & they are currently closed

ha ha thanks for vouching for the quality of kurzy's work - FYI ive had 3 of his looms historically, for 3 different corrado's, & it was me who organised the last group buy of his looms on here 😉 ha ha ha

also, i agree the OE connectors are not essential - ive ran all 3 of mine with the spade connections & never had a single issue until i was sloppy with the cable retention after getting the VR back from paint & the fans rubbed through part of the cable 😞

At the end of the day I'd prefer functionality and quality over aesthetics. Well, honestly, partly a goal is to take the load away from the headlight switch 😉 - in that it will succeed.

Anyway, your feedback on kurzy's loom is valuable and adds confidence (even a little excitement!) and I would much rather buy from an enthusiast/member. I am still interested 👍

On 9/16/2020 at 6:17 PM, fendervg said:

Don' suppose you have a link or anymore info please?

Here you go - but definitely sit down and put down your coffee before you check out the price! You'll need a bit of German or use Translate, but it's easy enough to work out - the pictures show the 2 OEM female connector plugs for the headlight end and also the two housing for the male connectors that plug straight into the existing loom:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Relaissatz-fuer-VW-Corrado-Plug-Play-2-0-zur-Lichtverbesserung-/182463499156

http://www.sc-tuning.de/assets/plugindata/poolc/Einbauanleitung Relaissatz PP 2.0 Corrado.pdf

I didn't pay anywhere near as much as mine was second-hand, but wouldn't necessarily be put off either - although I think about 100-150 for a 4 relay loom with good connectors is about right. I guess it comes down to the discounts you can get for buying the components in bulk,, and I know there is also a lot of labour involved (and safety issues if you don't get it right) in making them, having made or modified a couple myself in the past.

Thanks for the info although malware bytes and bitdefender wont allow connection to the second link

No worries. It’s probably because it links directly to a pdf. It’s just a the fitting instructions in German - will more or less the same as any other loom.

4 hours ago, fendervg said:

Here you go - but definitely sit down and put down your coffee before you check out the price! You'll need a bit of German or use Translate, but it's easy enough to work out - the pictures show the 2 OEM female connector plugs for the headlight end and also the two housing for the male connectors that plug straight into the existing loom:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Relaissatz-fuer-VW-Corrado-Plug-Play-2-0-zur-Lichtverbesserung-/182463499156

http://www.sc-tuning.de/assets/plugindata/poolc/Einbauanleitung Relaissatz PP 2.0 Corrado.pdf

I didn't pay anywhere near as much as mine was second-hand, but wouldn't necessarily be put off either - although I think about 100-150 for a 4 relay loom with good connectors is about right. I guess it comes down to the discounts you can get for buying the components in bulk,, and I know there is also a lot of labour involved (and safety issues if you don't get it right) in making them, having made or modified a couple myself in the past.

Wow 230 euro's!!!

that is hefty price tag & a massive difference from the £55 i think kurzy's were last time a few years ago

i am trying to find the OE connectors but without a part number or knowing the exact product name it is proving difficult

Yeah, it's a nasty price tag isn't it? I suppose if you are only upgrading once and it's a one-off cost....and can be removed and sold/transferred to another car easily.

The 4-pin square headlight connectors are 357941165, you'd also probably need the little grommets that seal against water, four of them,  and they come in different sizes depending on the wire gauge - numbers in the image. You could probably seal them another way, or do without.  

VW will sell you a wiring repair kit, basically a length of wire with the contacts already crimped on - you can cut these in half and connect on to the loom, just make sure its at least as thick as the loom wire, or alternatively, get the contacts themselves and crimp/solder them directly on.

That 4-pin headlight connector shows as being used for quite a few SEATs, Passat, Gold, Jetta in different markets.

image.png

Kevhaywire made a superb loom some years back for his car using micro relays which he kept inside the car, doing away with the need for a waterproof box. Hopefully once the old pics are back we should be able to see his setup.

Ive made a loom for mine but cut and joined the wires to the original connectors so no spades there. Only two relays in a box in the engine bay and two spare relays in the car just in case..

3 hours ago, fendervg said:

Yeah, it's a nasty price tag isn't it? I suppose if you are only upgrading once and it's a one-off cost....and can be removed and sold/transferred to another car easily.

The 4-pin square headlight connectors are 357941165, you'd also probably need the little grommets that seal against water, four of them,  and they come in different sizes depending on the wire gauge - numbers in the image. You could probably seal them another way, or do without.  

VW will sell you a wiring repair kit, basically a length of wire with the contacts already crimped on - you can cut these in half and connect on to the loom, just make sure its at least as thick as the loom wire, or alternatively, get the contacts themselves and crimp/solder them directly on.

That 4-pin headlight connector shows as being used for quite a few SEATs, Passat, Gold, Jetta in different markets.

image.png

nasty price tag indeed but more a huge margin for the people making those looms, wire, relays, connectors & fuses aint nowhere near 230 euro LOL

fender you are a diamond!!!  that part number worked a treat & ive now got a link for the connectors to the headlight......& they are cheap as chips

any chance you can get me a part number for the male end as well pls?

we could then avoid a tail to the factory loom & have a nice plug in

im sure kurzy will know what size grommets will be needed so i will consult him for that bit & then cost those up

2 minutes ago, stuarttaylor37 said:

thanks stuart but that link is for rayne auto who are not currently open so they are not an option - plus they are very pricey

56 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

nasty price tag indeed but more a huge margin for the people making those looms, wire, relays, connectors & fuses aint nowhere near 230 euro LOL

fender you are a diamond!!!  that part number worked a treat & ive now got a link for the connectors to the headlight......& they are cheap as chips

any chance you can get me a part number for the male end as well pls?

we could then avoid a tail to the factory loom & have a nice plug in

im sure kurzy will know what size grommets will be needed so i will consult him for that bit & then cost those up

A tidy profit for sure!

That was the problem with the male/headlight end of the connector - it's actually molded into the casing, and back when I was looking there was no equivalent part available from VAG, as they were always part of the headlight unit - I ended up cutting it out of a  broken lamp unit when I was making up my loom. Having said that a 4-pin square connector can't be that rate and it stands to reason that there might be one out there.

The one on the sc-tuning loom has no markings or part numbers and looks like it might have been 3D printed or injected plastic. I wonder if you could ask the supplier of the female plugs about the other connector? There has to be a template somewhere, or else they wouldn't have been able to make it part of the housing.

3 minutes ago, fendervg said:

A tidy profit for sure!

That was the problem with the male/headlight end of the connector - it's actually molded into the casing, and back when I was looking there was no equivalent part available from VAG, as they were always part of the headlight unit - I ended up cutting it out of a  broken lamp unit when I was making up my loom. Having said that a 4-pin square connector can't be that rate and it stands to reason that there might be one out there.

The one on the sc-tuning loom has no markings or part numbers and looks like it might have been 3D printed or injected plastic. I wonder if you could ask the supplier of the female plugs about the other connector? There has to be a template somewhere, or else they wouldn't have been able to make it part of the housing.

appreciate your help fender

ive had a browse on the site ive found the headlight end connector & think ive found the other one we need - i will give them a call tomorrow

the site also states, upon reading it again lol, that terminals & seals are included - i will verify when i call them tomorrow

fingers crossed guys

12 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

appreciate your help fender

ive had a browse on the site ive found the headlight end connector & think ive found the other one we need - i will give them a call tomorrow

the site also states, upon reading it again lol, that terminals & seals are included - i will verify when i call them tomorrow

fingers crossed guys

Great stuff - let's hear what they have to say. If we can get the connectors sorted, I'm definitely in for one too.

We'd also need to talk to Kurzy about how to handle the sidelights - with one 4-pin control connector you can power both sides off one feed by splitting the sidelight wire into two and running one to each headlight (disadvantage of this is that both will come on in the parking light position on the indicator), or if we use two OEM style receptacles, one with 4 pins and the other with just 1 pin for the sidelight, then you can plug in both of the original connectors and the parking light will work left or right side depending on the indicator stalk position.

Edited by fendervg