Brian1975

Best size tyre for a 16" wheel?

Hi,

I'm fitting a set of 7x16 wheels on my corrado g60 as my 15" won't clear the brembo front brake setup I am fitting.

What size tyre would suit best on this wheel ? Wheel size convertors say a 195-45-16 is closest to the oe 195-50-15 rolling radius but would a 205-40-16 0r 205-45-16 work out better to drive on.

Car is approx 40mm lowered all round with non rolled arches . Thanks .

8 hours ago, Brian1975 said:

Wheels are et25 , should have mentioned that!

I'd go with 205 personally, but you'll need 5-10mm spacers to ensure they won't rub on the arches. You could go with 195 width tyres which will give a light stretch, but I'm not particularly fond of that. Personal choice though.

Edited by seanl82

2 hours ago, seanl82 said:

I'd go with 205 personally, but you'll need 5-10mm spacers to ensure they won't rub on the arches. You could go with 195 width tyres which will give a light stretch, but I'm not particularly fond of that. Personal choice though.

Agreed 205 would be a good fit on a 7” wheel. 
et 25 will be further out than standard, but you say your arches are rolled so you should be ok, I don’t think spacers will be required, if anything more rolling. 

Thanks ,

My arches aren't rolled and I hope not to have to if possible ! 

I didnt think id have to add spacers tbh,thought et25 would be more than spaced out enough as it is ?

So your saying a 205 /45 tyre is the one to go for ?

26 minutes ago, Brian1975 said:

Thanks ,

My arches aren't rolled and I hope not to have to if possible ! 

I didnt think id have to add spacers tbh,thought et25 would be more than spaced out enough as it is ?

So your saying a 205 /45 tyre is the one to go for ?

I would go with 205 x 45. If the tyre just catches the lips 195 might help but the ride will be harder

I would imagine et25 will rub the arches as it will be sticking out further.  You'll have to go for a narrower width tyre (and hence a bit of stretch) and obviously the compromise will be a slightly harder ride.  The VR offset is 35 to 43.  Et 31 rubs very slightly.  Not sure what the standard offset for a G60 is though I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can advise.  

As above, the ideal size on 16s is 205/45/16

Edited by fla

Hi,

Thanks for the reply , this is all  being fitted to a narrow track 4 stud G60 so might,nt experience the clearance issues that might occour on a vr6 car.

The original BBS RJ wheel for the g60 is a 15x 6.5j with an et of 33. My new rims are 7x16 et25.  From my calculation the new wheel will be 14.4mm out towards the arch compared to the originals.  I think there will be plenty of room in the arch for this as the originals are set quite inward anyway .

Just a bit concerned that the 205 section will look a bit overtyred on a narrow track car ? I had a mk2 once with 205/50/15 tyres on and I remember it drove awful ! 

Yes but going from 6.5 to 7" wheels may necessitate the increase in tyre width. You'll get away with 195 giving a light stretch but it's your choice.