_Matt_

Heated seat wiring - earth?

Hi,

I'm plugging in the loom for the heated seats but can't work out where the earth wire on the loom is supposed to attach. My car didn't have heated seats from factory and the earth seems like it should attach somewhere under the drivers seat area on layout of the loom.

I haven't got as far as my fuse box yet but am hoping it will be case of connect wires with connectors with the same colour.

Cheers

Matt

I wrote some notes here

The harness is grounded to the stud by the relay assembly (Brown wire with ring connector) - near where your knees would be sat in the rear-left seat.

See Cressa's pic here: 

Power comes in via the Black wire (Green plug) which plugs into the grey strip/block ( TV5 ) above the fusebox.

Illumination for the switch is supplied through the Grey/Blue wire (Grey plug) which plugs into the grey strip/block ( TV8 ) above the fusebox.

Match the colours with what's there already...

Have fun!

Cheers Philly, will hopefully get stuck into this at the weekend. Fusebox bit sounds ok with matching colours and connectors 🙂 

My earth cable confuses me a bit though as it has exited the wrapped loom under the drivers seat area (RHD car, relays are mounted passenger rear). The wrap looks factory. I can see the stud behind the rear passenger door card though that you mention though but was wondering if there is factory stud on the transmission tunnel or something I could use although I can see it and most of my inteior is stripped out.

I don't remember any studs around the transmission tunnel.

I would guess the handbrake fixing would be the only stud substantial enough for an earth. There are a few studs for mounting the plastic trims on the tunnel? And one for a plastic clamp for retaining the various harnesses.

I have only seen the two standard harnesses:

1. small harness: White plug for the switch, Black 6-way plug to connect to the large harness, two single plugs to the blocks on top of the fusebox.

2. large harness: Black 6-way socket from the small harness, two plugs to the seats, large block housing the two controllers and the earth.

HeatedSeatsHarness-Small.jpg

HeatedSeatsHarness-Large.jpg

I have both of those i think, definitely the bottom one as have laid that one out. I can see the earth cable is at the relay end where as mine is with the drivers side seat. My cable wrapping is also completely wrapped so maybe the earth was moved at some point. Good to see where it's meant to be but annoyingly will mean i have to take my seats out again to unwrap and achieve that!

I stumbled across a photo of the fusebox - dropped toward the floor.

1 hour ago, Philly-R6 said:

Power comes in via the Black wire (Green plug) which plugs into the grey strip/block ( TV5 ) above the fusebox.

Illumination for the switch is supplied through the Grey/Blue wire (Grey plug) which plugs into the grey strip/block ( TV8 ) above the fusebox.

Power ( TV5 ) is to the left of the pic and Illumination ( TV8 ) to the right.

HeatedSeatsHarness-Fusbox.jpg

Im not sure but there is a round earthing circle in front of the drivers seat to the right of the fuse box by the A pillar it is where you earth electric seats from recaro . I cant remember where it goes but I removed that Loom that Matt has . 😬

Easypops is pretty good on seat looms. 

I think your loom might be a later style loom if there is such a thing as the wrapping looks different, 

Another picture of the fusebox, the 2 red arrows are the green block and the grey/blue one as mentioned better above and the other picture is the relay end and you’ll see the other earth there as well 

35726968-2414-40A6-940B-B04D68B09BD4.jpeg

1A13774B-73D0-4E58-906D-14E257280021.jpeg

Cheers. This gives me some stuff to work off. Im not sure my earth will stretch as far as behind the dash. Ill get some pics if I can't work it out!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, MJA said:

Cheers. This gives me some stuff to work off. Im not sure my earth will stretch as far as behind the dash. Ill get some pics if I can't work it out!

If the green plug and the grey one reach the earth is really close to the actual fusebox 👍

Right back to this as I have just taken all of my interior back out in preparation for some work needed underneath the car (bloody car is draining me dry now).

Q - can i use the stud circiled in the picture, once paint ground off with a suitable nut as an earth, without causing myself any rust issues in the future? Is it too close to other wires too? 

The earth cable won't stretch any further than this. My other option is to put a hole in the cross support metal work on the floor under the chair.

Earth.JPG

Yeah it's from the relay but wrapped in tape wrap to ths point. I can see there's an earth point right next to the relay. I suppose one option actually now the interior is all out again is to unwrap the tape and cut the wire down. 

Yea that's going to be the plan. Its too long at the mo but can cut that down. Just have to unwrap the wiring. That's the best course of action.

Hi all, thread resurrection. I'm putting the heated seat loom in the new corrado but my fuse box layout is different to the pics - trying to figure out which is TV8 and TV5.

I only have 2 spare connections on the top row and if I plug in the switch illuminates and relays click but just want to be sure it's a free for all on where I plug the green and grey in?

20230608_204532.jpg

20230608_204513.jpg

And just to confirm this is where I've plugged them in (only slots available)

The heated seat switch on dash is always illuminated and relays click. Seats done appear to heat up though.

20230608_205011.jpg

Doesn't look correct to my memory.  I can have a look at the weekend as to where I put mine. Are you sure the seat pads do work anyway? Testing the resistance across the seat connections top and bottom will give you a low ohms resistance if all is okay. 

I still have my notes in a book regarding this at home. Just on nights at the moment unfortunately 

Cheers Cressa. Would be good to know and my wiring is different to how it came out of my parts car (both cars still in garage) and infact the layout across the top of the fuse box is different in both cars.

I ran the seats with engine running today and they did get warm - do they not run on ignition only?

Sent from my SM-G990B2 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I totally forgot this weekend so shall look tonight. 

99.99% sure the heated part only works with ignition on. The electric part of recaro, tilt and height work all of the time