ABV-VR6

Is there a trick to install those bushings??

I'm having a real hard time trying to reinstall those bushings. I cannot even get one installed after 30 minutes and there's 4 to do... 

Bushings have been in the freezer, I have rubber friendly grease. I tried a treaded rod. Nothing works! 

Help! Anyone has a trick of the trade? 

IMG_20210730_111758128.jpg

Did them last night mate- too spongy with a press- put it in at a slight angle the bush to get the first bit through the hole and then a large flathead screwdriver head to push/lever the other side through . Helps if you put the cross member on a vice wrapped in blanket to protect powder coat sp you have good access. . 

B1D79166-833C-4219-A3B5-A33AA68C4913.jpeg

Edited by Keyo
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Keyo! 

Alright, I'll try that again, your way this time! Did you used grease or just straight up? I wonder if the grease is helping or not, might be too much as it won't bind... 

Cheers mate

2 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks Keyo! 

Alright, I'll try that again, your way this time! Did you used grease or just straight up? I wonder if the grease is helping or not, might be too much as it won't bind... 

Cheers mate

I put a bit of silicon spray in the hole- to get the first bit in twist and push the bush in at an angle so half of it goes through, then large flat head that is not sharp or put some tape on the end of the flat head to stop any scratch and lever it through . 

Edited by Keyo

Basically as Keyo says, you put them back how you got them out. I had mine on an old duvet on the floor, it was like wrestling a crocodile 😂

Wrestling a crocodile, that's exactly how I felt ha haa!
I think the holes got a tad smaller with the powder coat and those Febi bushings are stiffer than the OEM ones too. Makes the process harder to happen.
The rear beam bushings won the gold medal and these win the silver medal!
I got one yesterday... Today I'll try to get the rest done.
Wish me luck! Cheers

Well, I've done it... ABV 1 / Crocodile 0

Im going to put this out there for future reference as I combined two techniques and with it, I made happen the last 3 bushings in less than 10 minutes compared to the 20/30 minutes for the first one. 

As Keyo suggested, securing the engine carrier in a vise is a must. Frozen bushings were not a good idea as you want them more malleable so they are easier to work with at room temperature. What I struggled with, is that the more grease the better but then you just fight with the bushing going left when or press right and vice versa. Ended up using two flat head and a slippage while doing so could have hurt... Anyways it worked that way but it was still a struggle. 

Here's my plan B that worked like a charm. Seriously, less than 10 minutes all 3 were in. I had a left over threaded rod from the rear beam bushing, about 30cm long. A 30 and a 60mm socket. The problem with my original jig was that I was trying to press in the bushing. This time, I inverted it so I was pulling the bushing in. I pulled it in until one part of the lip went through. If you put too much pressure it won't have enough space to wiggle itself in so there's a balance to respect. Anyways, that kept a constant pressure on the bushing. Then I turned the bushing until the bulging part was on top just to be in a better position to push. With the pressure on, there was no more slippage or struggle while pushing the bulging part in with my fat flat head (with masking tape on it as mentioned). Hopefully the picture shows what  I'm trying to explain. I snapped it just before pushing on the bulging top part. 

Thanks for the support, cheers! 

IMG_20210731_100553750.jpg