Mawrick

Is there a "fault" in the VR6 clutch setup ?

A while back I noticed a comment on a youtube video stating that there is some kind of fault/error with the oem clutch in the VR6, and that there is some uprated/fixes clutches one can fit.

After my initial rebuild - including new clutch (using centering tool etc - even took it out once an re-installed in to make sure it was ok), but I'v always had a problem when putting it into reverse where one have to be really carefull not to cause a small "grinding" noise - I kinda feel this grind also when changing some gears if I'm not very slow and make sure the clutch is put "pedal to the metal".

Anyone have any info about this ? - can't remember this was a problem in my B3 passat VR6.....

Never heard this before - the master/slave clutch arrangement is used on lots of other cars, and was standard on the Passat and later Golfs - so tried and tested. The actual clutch on the VR is considered to be rateed well over what is required for the VR and it is not uncommon for them to go well over 100k, even 150k on an unmodified car.

Your problem is most likely to do with the gear linkage which might need adjustment or a rebuild - some of the plastic busjes and linkages are prone to wear.

My first step would be to change the gear box oil with some Redline MT90 or equivalent if this hasn't been done recently, and do a proper adjustment. After that investigate refurbishing the linkage and shift tower bushings - some even upgrade to a later mech from a MkIV or Polo and have never had any issues since.

Do as search here on shift linkage adjustment etc and the procedure will come up - there is  a special VAG tool for it, but it is not needed, it simply centres the gear lever while you adjust the linkage in the engine bay, but a friend can do this duty for you.

5 hours ago, Dox said:

The clutch fork can crack.

Good call as well, but that would usually have been picked up on during a clutch change - happens to all cars too, I had them go on a Mk2 and Mk5 Golf, so not VR6 specific. I now tend to ask them to check it and replace if needed as a precaution.

1 hour ago, fendervg said:

Good call as well, but that would usually have been picked up on during a clutch change - happens to all cars too, I had them go on a Mk2 and Mk5 Golf, so not VR6 specific. I now tend to ask them to check it and replace if needed as a precaution.

I'l look into this linkage thing as I doubt it's something physically gone bad (IIRC - been many years since I did the job as the car is only used during summertime the fork etc is changed), and "problem" have kinda always been there, it's not very noticeable, other that the reversing, there it might be a bit "loud" (If I don't make sure to take it very slow changing into reverse).

Thanks for both the tips - I might have to take off the gearbox anyway this winter in regards to other maintenance so to have a closer look at it.

Here is the video that mentioned this clutch "problem"? (I kinda doubted it due to my experience with the B3 passat VR6 and never had any issues)

https://youtu.be/YT_iCj8WmgE?t=538

he starts talking about it at roughly 09:00 in the video....