mnmv12

Brake Pedal Position Sensor

So my ABS light keeps coming on intermittently, then goes off after a restart. Quick scan showed a 00793 code for brake pedal position sensor ( 357927810). I am aware this part is no longer available and I know the standard fix is to dissemble the switch and re-solder the two terminals but has anyone got any tips on how to remove the end cap of the switch without destroying it. Looking at various forums including Volvo it appears to be glued together. Everybody says it is a bugger to remove but know one actually says how they did it.

Alternatively does anyone have one they want to sell?

BPPS.jpg

BPPS2.jpg

I did that job and did a guide in my car's thread however the photos went missing with the forum.

I use a stanley knife to cut the seal which allowed me to get at the circuit board. My solder joints were dry so i cleaned them up and applied new solder. Push it back together with some waterproof sealent and it's be fine for about 4 years.

Alternatively Vince will do it if you post to him for I guess £50 but that was 4 years ago so probably £300 today with inflation 😄

Just managed to get a golf mk3 vr6 servo of eBay which has the same sensor. At least I will have a backup If it all goes Pete Tong especially as this is my daily at the moment. Will post some pics if I manage to get it apart.

Good stuff always good to have a spare. If you get stuck post up or message me happy to help. Once you get the cap off you'll see it - there is a spring and rod in there as well but it's no different to a spring loaded pen.

Quick update.

Got as far as unplugging the sensor ready to remove strip down and re-solder then changed my mind and decided to wait for the second hand backup part to arrive. Plugged it back together and not seen the fault since. Considering the ABS light was coming on every journey before and i have since done about 20 trips covering about 500 miles with no light i reckon that fixed it! 

Note to self

Always try the simple things before assuming the worst. (Not that this has worked very often in 20yrs of ownership)

Nice win - are you saying you just unplugged the PPS and then plugged it in again? Or did you swap out with the replacement that arrived?

I have one stashed away here for this very eventuality.

Literally just unplugged it then plugged it back in. It was correctly located so I can only assume there was some corrosion on the terminals not that it was obvious. Either that or there is a loose connection in the plug itself. Anyway the problem appears to have been resolved and I now have a spare for another obsolete part.😀