ProjectGT

Dash vent flap removal

Hi,

Posting here because I am limited to this area as a newbie.

How do you remove the paddle flap that allows the air to flow or not? I have the full dash out and vents out of the dash.

I don’t want to break the spindles by going about it wrong.

Reason for removal is to replace the foam that creates the seal around the edge of the paddle flap.

Many thanks

No easy way unfortunately,  if you want to do it properly.  Really needs to have the heater box out, which means dash removal. That way, you can redo all the flaps in the heaters box.

10 minutes ago, fla said:

No easy way unfortunately,  if you want to do it properly.  Really needs to have the heater box out, which means dash removal. That way, you can redo all the flaps in the heaters box.

Sure, I have the dash out, heater box out and have rebuilt it, I was referring to the face level air vents, with these removed, behind these are flaps that open and close the face level vents. It is these that I want to remove. 

It loks like they are held in place by the gear ratchet on the control side that operates the flap - if you remove this, the pin that secure the flap is gone, so after that it is just a friction fit. Make sure you mark the position of the gear before removal, although it should be easy enough to work out if something goes wrong. Check out parts #29 and #30 in the diagram:

heater-flap.JPG

On 7/30/2023 at 8:03 AM, ProjectGT said:

Sure, I have the dash out, heater box out and have rebuilt it, I was referring to the face level air vents, with these removed, behind these are flaps that open and close the face level vents. It is these that I want to remove. 

ah yes, sorry.  Those are quite easy, as fender says you can pull the gear out from the side and then remove the diverter.  I put some felt in between the two halves of the diverter by sliding some cut pieces from the side and trimmed these to shape.  There's enough gap between the two sides to fit some fairly decent felt in there!