Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

16v downpipe

Is there any standard downpipe from the VW range i.e. ABF, 8v that will fit straight onto my KR?

I am looking to get rid of the bin like silencer from my front pipe and would love to buy something like a JMR big bore replacement but I cannot justify spending a lot of money on the car.

think you may want to alter your title before you get lots of "WTF?" style answers... ;) :lol: 15V indeed.... :lol:

IIRC the only way to get a better flowing exhaust on a VW is to use a non-VW one... The JMR downpipe is excellent and REALLY shows up how bad the original downpipes are... 8)

The only other way I can think of doing it would be to use a G60 downpipe and a cat bypass pipe mated up to your original manifold... I think this should work as I'm pretty sure that all of JMR's hi-flow downpipes are identical which means that the downpipe mating face on the manifolds must all be the same... :?

Send John a PM and ask him... :D 8)

:oops:

I have already spoken to him. I rememeber my G60 basically having the same downpipe but minus the silencer. Is that right? Anybody got a pic of a G60 downpipe?

If you would like a standard G60 front pipe i have a few!! give me a call, i'm sure i can help you here :wink:

Hi coullstar,

I had the same problem, just didnt like forking out the £140 for a Vw one. I got the down pipe from a G60 at the scrappies, cut off the 3 bolt manifold and got my buddy to weld a bit of pipe (just to give it a nice round bit). Then its just a case of buying a section of pipe from the motor factors and clamping it between the down pipe and your existing exhaust.

Its held for the last 3 years! When i got the altered downpipe back from my buddy, I flooded the inside with High Temp paint, That's probably why its lasted so long!

My car doesn't need a catalyst, don't know about your one though.

No mine doesnt need a catalyst. Thats pretty much what I was going to do OR fit and 8v with a link pipe.

I know the downpipes are a bitch to replace sometimes.

Did the noise increase that much? Did it make much difference to the car?

Hi Coullstar,

It didn't make any difference to the noise. But that may be due to me having a supersprint exhaust( more or less straight through anyway). I don't know what it would do to an OEM exhaust.

Performance wise it didn't seem to make any noticeable difference either!

I think the original downpipe just cut out some of the frequencies before going to the next exhaust section.