Sign in to follow this  
146 Jockey

G60 v M3

Had the G60 on the rollers after getting a full service and tuning(without octane boost and Plugs, maybe worth another 3-5bhp). 214bhp at the fly wheel and 198Ilbs of torque, was very happy but thought I would get a little more. Was out then in my mates M Cuope and was thinking of investing in an M3 95-97(and holding on to the Corrado). What is the general opinion of the M3?

Regards,

Baz.

well tbh.......fast as the E-36 M3 is............i would go for the E-30 M3 myself...........the problem i find with the E-36 M3/M3 evo is the fact a 316i coupe is so easily dressed up as the real thing........seemingly its best to avoid the 321bhp Evo and go for the 286bhp pre Evo M3 :wink:

The Evo has the Vanos valve timing system which on this model is generally recognised as being troublesome - being a BMW, there is big money involved in putting it right. On the plus side the M3 Evo is a lot tauter than the pre Evo model which was thought to be a bit on the soft side. Out and out performance wise, theres not that much difference.

Trouble you'll have is finding a good one, a lot were bought by companies and not treated very well, if it was my money, I would go to somewhere like Munich Legends and invest in a sorted E30 M3, now thats a car for the real enthusiast as opposed to an estate agent

dont waste your money on a bmw. they dont age well im my hoest opinion. there are far better motors out there thats will p on an M3

Yeah the E30 M3 was something else, awesome cars. A true point and squirt machine.

The E36 feels dull and lifeless by comparison. Horrid steering which is over assisted and too many turns lock-to-lock. The 286bhp M3s also suffered from dodgy build quality, as my mate's clearly demonstrated. Apart from the usual BMW foibles, it goes like stink and the engine is a creamy grenade. The handling, despite the uncommuncative helm, is awesome. Full bore launches with those fat tyres and LSD are amazing fun and there's no wheelspin, just instant thrust.

The Evo was hampered by the 6 speed box but the engine was fantastic. Both the 286 and 321 engines have VANOS timing, single on the 286 and double VANOS (exhaust and inlet) on the 321. The 286 is a 3.0 engine. The 321 is 3.2 and is still used today in the E46 M3. The 286 engine is the more refined and smoother. The 3.2 feels ready burst and is a clattery, noisy beast at urban speeds.....but on the open road....it sings.

An M3 was on my shortlist before getting the C, hence finding out all this sh1t. You're looking at £1000 for a new VANOS unit, £1500 for new chains, £1500 for an exhaust manifold (cracking issues), £600 for an ignition ECU (another common one), £700 for a steering rack etc. All common. BMW over tyre their cars and as a consequence the racks wear prematurely.

In short avoid E36 M3s......they are three times the money pit a Corrado is.

Dont worry about it being a money pit......aslong as it puts a big f*uckin grin ear to ear, and after driving all the M3's to date I'd say any one of em is going to do that. :lol:

The Evo was hampered by the 6 speed box but the engine was fantastic.

I thought the first 5 gear ratios were the same as the non evo's, the 6th gear is just an overdrive for the motorways? :?

It was a proper restack IIRC, could be wrong tho.

The gearing of the Evo was one of the reasons why it did 60 in 5 dead, whereas the 3.0 did it in around 5.5 to 6.

Baz, i think the masses have spoken, i will try and line up a spin in one for you, but i dont rekon its going to be the way to go

The Evo was hampered by the 6 speed box but the engine was fantastic.

I thought the first 5 gear ratios were the same as the non evo's, the 6th gear is just an overdrive for the motorways? :?

nah.

the evo model has def got higher gearing.

yeah the vanos can fail on the evo models, better bet is the early e36 m3 the 3.0 if ur on a limited budget

driving wise they are an awesome car.

I didn't find the 3.0 to be all that appealing to be honest. It was on the shortlist before getting the VR. I didn't like the vague steering, the fuel consumption or the tramlining and it felt very marginally quicker than the MK2 Golf 16V Turbo I had at the time.

The Golf I could accurately place into a corner and power out of it. The M3 I had no clue what the front wheels were up to and unless the revs were at 4000+, there was nothing to write home about by way of torque.

What I did like was the LSD and fat rear tyres for very rapid standing start acceleration though. Only a well prepared 4x4 Corrado could match that traction.

The E36 M3 is no E30 M3.....

a decent set of springs and good tyres is sposed to transform an e36.

exhaust, filter and either chip or remap will see you easily over the 300bhp mark.

ur right in saying its no e30, but then its not sposed to be either.

however some money spent on the above mentioned items (and possibly uprated front susp bushes etc) and u wuill find the car is a very good compromise. quick, fun and still easy to live with

I sort of like the E30 M3's bit classier than the E36's to many wannabes parading as M3's for my liking!

This type are ok:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 42886&rd=1

But it's still a beemer and people will still think your a cock if you drive one.......remember that all BMW's indicators are faulty so check them carefully before you buy!

For the same money you could get a Porka 944 Turbo! Now I know which one I'd rather have :wink:

Steve

You can't fake an E30 to be an M3 as easily as you can an E36. The E30 M3 was the only E30 that got 16s as standard and also the only E30 with 5 bolt hubs. Then there's the bulged wings, they're LHD only, 4 cylinder and 2 door.

So if you see a 5 door E30 with a 6 clyinder engine and 15s with a bodykit..... you can waste it easily :lol:

The E30 M3 is the purists choice. It's a very focused car and the handling is amazing......WAY WAY better than it's brothers.

was there not also a E30 M3 EVO ??????

or is it really late and im imagining things again

I sort of like the E30 M3's bit classier than the E36's to many wannabes parading as M3's for my liking!

This type are ok:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 42886&rd=1

But it's still a beemer and people will still think your a **** if you drive one.......remember that all BMW's indicators are faulty so check them carefully before you buy!

For the same money you could get a Porka 944 Turbo! Now I know which one I'd rather have :wink:

Steve

oh dear,

check out the trim on that :lol:

Hmmm after all this I'd add that I'm considering a pre-Evo E36 M3 - having driven one I was most impressed by its sheer grunt. But not sure if I can bring myself to part with my C and I can't afford both! :?