Sign in to follow this  
Flo

Ht leads and VGI / VSR

Hello all!

Sorry if these are a completely dumb couple of questions, but i'm being brave and asking anyway!

Firstly how do you use the plastic tool to remove the HT leads from the plugs? do they just pull off or do you need to twist them? its just the metal ends look a little delicate and i dont want to bust anything.

Also, an even dumber question. whats the difference between a VSR and VGI? which ones better? and how much should i be looking at to get one fitted?

any help would be appreciated. many thanks

With the tool, you slot it into the plug recess and turn it until you feel it look into the HT's metal shroud. Then simply pull the lead off the plug.

VSR is VW Motorsport's variable intake and the VGI is Schrick's version of it. They both use the same principals to vary the length of the inlet tracts, but Schrick went one step further and made all the intake runners the same effective length.

The Schrick is the more effective but it does mean a partial strip-down of it once a year to replace the plugs.

The VSR was designed to be OE standard, therefore no maintanence required and it looks just like a normal manifold dimensionally.

K

thanks for the reply. I see you went for the VGI version. Do you find its worth the hassle of stripping it down once a year for the extra power return. Also, i thought the plugs only needed replacing every 40k or so.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours and did you get it installed or was it DIY

The vgi's were part of a group buy organised by the golf vr6 forum and cost £1070 all in. Stripping it down is easy. It's in three pieces (about 10 bolts to remove) and is an easy diy install. You can use iridium plugs which have a long service life.

As for the extra grunt, look at some dynos and judge for yourself but I think most people would agree that it makes a big difference and makes the car much nicer to drive, especially combined with a throttle body, cams and rechip.

The "extra grunt" is open to debate too, I doubt anyone has VSR vs VGI power plots from the same engine to show us. There's no doubt that the VGI is probably slightly better, but how much is completely unknown.

And interestingly he's stuck with the VSR by the look of it. I did PM him, but haven't heard back, I guess he's busy/away/not as bored as we are...

He doesn't frequent the forum that often, so must have a life :lol:

From what I remember when he joined, he said he removed the VGI and 268 cams because the extra grunt encouraged him to drive like a lunatic everywhere and I think he got rumbled by the police.

It's also worth mentioning that there were only ever 500 VSR's made, so the chance of you getting your hands on one are pretty slim (although there was one for sale on here the other day).

I guess the VGI is the way to go then. is it true the bonnet needs to be cut away?

Where can i get one fitted and how much shouldl i pay?

thanks for all your replies BTW

AMD sell 'em with fitting for £1500 + VAT, IIRC. That will include all necessary work to make it fit (yes cutting away part of the bonnet). Stealth can probably supply them still, too, but you wouldn't get the group buy discount, I'm sure.

If you want a 2nd hand one, they do come up for sale occasionally, but it's rare...

** correction that's £1699 + VAT with a rechip thrown in (the rechip is £350+VAT)...

http://www.auto-amd.com/corrado.asp

As it's bound to come up at some point... if you've got the money it may also be worth investing in an uprated front engine mount too. A Vibratechs one is £150 though, so not cheap.

The advantage is that it's slightly shorter, so will mean you have to cut less out of your bonnet. It's also stronger so reduces the chance of snapping and making a big dent in your bonnet. Oh and it'll hold the engine more firmly in place, making your car handle a bit better too.