Sign in to follow this  
joby

High temp

Hows about this one then, just popped out to tesco for some beer in the c oil temp hits 122 and the heater is blowin cold and temp guage is normal oil temp has always run hot but the handbook says dont worry upto 140 this seems high as after owning countless vw`s ive never had it this high, any ideas

Is it a G60 as that is a normal oil temp!! The fan blowing cold air probably means you have an air lock in your heater matrix somewhere so no hot water is passing through it. Try disconnecting the hose that runs through the bulk head and fill it up that way and then reconnect it, then take the expansion tank cap off and run the car until the fan cuts in this should give it a chance to get any bubbles in the system a chance to escap

also if no hot air is blowing through the car then it means there is more of it in the engine bay which will lead to a hotter engine, obviously.

Cheers it is an 1.8 16v This problem has only just occured and tipically at xmas time i will have to look at it tomorow, so dont you think the oil temp is high then. cheers

not really as Tom's (VR6) already said if there isn't proper circulation there will be a build up of heat in the engine which wont be cooling the oil as well either!! Hence a higher oil temp than normal!!

Aha - i have the same problem of just cold air blowing out. Had a bit of a coolant leak - would this have caused the prob with air getting in. Where do i find this hose to fill it up through? Its a '92 G60..

"HELP" This cars doin me head in, tried bleedin the system, it wont, it just keeps boiling like a kettle ive used 3 litres of antifreeze ive had yhis problem with my old corrado and took it to a dealer they tried and tried most of the day to bleed it but couldnt it seemed to sort itself in the end this one wont though any ideas "please" My local dealer doesnt know what a corrado is there useless so ill have to go elsewhere, at last resort.....

I was advised elsewhere that i might need a new thermostat. How that would affect the in car heating ive no idea - i thought it would just blow hot air if the control was on hot.. :?

Does yours blow any heat at all. Mine starts blowing warm air but as soon as the the engine warms up it goes cold.

It wll almost definately be an air lock in your matrix so it wont be getting any water running through it you can either try bleeding the whole syste or justtry and fill it up by the hose that goes through the bulk head once thats filled up run the car with the expansion tank cap off until the fan cuts in and wait for any bubbles to dissapear then refill if need be if it gets low. Try that if that doesn't cure it then I dont know!!

Thanks G60, Will try tommorow phoned the maindealers they didnt have a clue and couldnt look at it till monday anyway, looks like ill be running around in my old van over xmas...

Any luck? I'm interested because it sounds ALOT like problem I've just had. Mine's in the garage now and I'm reliably assured that it's my head gasket!! Worth getting yours checked.

Hi Ross its weird it seems ok now appart from the fact that the heater only works when it wants to ? Im going to the main dealer today to see if its had the heater recall done ..

Had the same problems with my 1.8 16V. All the advice I got was that it is normal in traffic to get hot. At start mine water would sit constantly at 100 to 110 degrees ©. A quick thermostat change and it would sit at 90 deg. Up to 110 in traffic though, though this i believe is normal. Highest oil temp so far is 112 deg. Will try a lower setting thermoswitch - see if that keeps it all at around 90 deg.

As for interior heating, THere is a variable valve on the inlet pipe (in engine bay, just befor the b/head - the silver one). This can stick in the low setting. Try replacing it - its the same one used in all VWs of that age - so scrapper is the way to go as it retails at 30 squids. Also flush heater matrix with Mr Muscle Drain Cleaner. All this solved my problem, same as

======================================

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:22 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does yours blow any heat at all. Mine starts blowing warm air but as soon as the the engine warms up it goes cold.

'92 Corrado G60

======================================

Hope this helps.

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with my MK2 Gti 8v years ago. Tried all sorts and the only cure was a new head gasket (the old one was coming apart and bloked part of the cooling system).