Sign in to follow this  
Banana Man

top mount threaded bush removal probs!

Anyone got any good tips on removing the threaded bushes that hold the top mount onto the suspension strut both of mine are on there solid and can I budge the buggers NO!

I know there is a special tool for removing them but no one has it in stock. I ve been trying with the good old hammer and screwdriver for ages but still cant budge it ( Obviously dont have a big enough hammer!!! :D )

Any help would be appreciated :)

Halfords used to suppy the tools for removing them so try there.

I take it you've tried the "punch and trusty persuader" approach to getting them moving already?

Threaded bush (theres a dirty pun in there somewhere) ??? Erm, the big rubber bit just pushes on, so clamp it in a vice and pull like buggery. Or cut it off with a hacksaw if your feeling like a girl :p

If you mean the nut that holds the spring onto the damper body you need an allen key and 21mm ring spanner and take the big rubber top mount off first. But use spring compressors and clamp it in a vice first.

Clutching at straws here but if your trying to get the strut off the car, you need a 21mm swan neck spanner, which you'll never need again for anything else. :)

No special tools required for doing anything to a C front suspension except to re-build the shocks, which you cant.

Bananas i thought u woulda got this tool by now considering u had enuff notice,,,,, shame on u

If you're talking about the nut-type thing with two slots in it then I made my own tool to undo it late one night when all else had failed.

If you can find a piece of hexagonal or round bar that's about the same diameter as the nut thing then you can file it down until you have a raised part across the middle, which fits in the slots. If the bar was not hollow it will also be necessary to drill out the centre so it fits over the threaded part of the slider. Tricky to explain but I'll provide pics if required.

Then again, you may not be talking about the nut-type thing at all.......

or you can make one by getting a deep socket think its 13 mm and modify it with a grinder.

i managed to get the proper tool from halfords, i think i was lucky as i had been looking for one for a while. was a good price too

The nut-type thing that I'm talking about can only be seen once the strut is off the car. It's the nut that has to be removed to replace the top mount - hence, it also acts as the spring retainer. I'm not sure if all Corrados had these as I've owned Golf GTi's with and without them.

The nut-type thing that I'm talking about can only be seen once the strut is off the car. It's the nut that has to be removed to replace the top mount - hence, it also acts as the spring retainer. I'm not sure if all Corrados had these as I've owned Golf GTi's with and without them.

Ok in that case you need to put spring compressors on and the big black rubber bit is just push fit, so you can just haul on it till it comes off to reveal the nut that I think you're talking about and can be removed as shown.

img_handler.php?id=1&img=image10_large

Sorry should have updatetd this one got fed up trying to do it so took it to my local VAG garage where my mate works and he buzzed it off with the tool and an air ratchet in ten seconds JOBS A GOODUN :D colovers are now fitted :D

Thanks anyways guys :) :)

After all that, you go and cave in and take it to someone that knows what they're doing :roll: disgusting behaviour...what you say? My car booked in at Stealth to do the rear suspension you say? Nooo not me :lol:

In fairness I was game to have a crack at the rear suspension, but there was no way I was gonna attempt the rear axle bushes. Then I figured as they're in there they can do the suspension too... it wasn't helped by scruffythefirst very inconsiderately taking up his nice garage space with his kit car :roll: lol.

i think that dust cover confused me, but it dont look like my rear either, more like the front but not??!! :roll:

it wasn't helped by scruffythefirst very inconsiderately taking up his nice garage space with his kit car

Yeah, sorry about that. Cav probably needs new front shocks to pass the mot and so i might have to borrow your garage for a bit, while you've got nothing in it.....

it wasn't helped by scruffythefirst very inconsiderately taking up his nice garage space with his kit car

Yeah, sorry about that. Cav probably needs new front shocks to pass the mot and so i might have to borrow your garage for a bit, while you've got nothing in it.....

Ohh I see how it is. Yeah sure... still not gonna splash out and get some new HT leads tho?