Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

Poorly fuel pump - symptoms ?

Hi all, I'm not sure, but I think my fuel pump may be on it's way out. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a high pitched whining from the back end which I'm pretty sure is the fuel pump, & it definitely wasn't so noticable before. Just wondering if there are any other symptoms of a poorly fuel pump to look out for?

Cheers,

Robbo

Fuel supply problems - rough running, pinking, lack of performance (particularly at high revs), that sort of thing. They tend to become noisy for ages before they quit, but having them quit isn't a great thing, of course...

Mat has already covered the symptoms but the fuel pump can whine if the filter is clogged. I know that is an old cliche, but it's a cheap-ish part, easy to replace and will give you an answer straight away, i.e. a quiet pump or no difference.

Certain fuel additives can gum up the fuel filter, so I wouldn't use any octane boosters, Redex, or any poo like that.

Oh and another thing to check is the little hose that connects the fuel pressure regulator to the inlet manifold. If that leaks, the fuel pressure won't be governed.

Cheers guys, never thought about the filter, guess it's worth changing as it's much cheaper than a new fuel pump!

Kev I never bother with additives, just usually run on super U\L.

Cheers,

Robbo

p.s. Kev, any suggestions for where to run a new 12v supply from for my cam sensor test (old post which never got answered, sorry)

Cheers again.

You could try taking a feed from the coilpack's 12V supply I suppose? Or anything else that is switched off the ignition, wiper motor, auxillary water pump etc....

Hello peeps, just back from sunny Ibiza & catching up on forum events.

Back to my fuel pump query - I noticed the pitch of the whining changed when turning lights etc on (adding load), does this mean it's deffo the pump, or should I still try a new filter first?

Cam sensor saga - I've spliced in alternative feeds for power to the cam sensor (tested it too before I connected it back up), still unsure if it's cured, guess I need another diagnostic check. The only thing left is the trigger wheel - oh bum, not looking forward to trying to change that!

Cheers,

Robbo