Sign in to follow this  
Scott

BO**OCKS!!!!

Just got off the phone from my other half who was on the way to take her bike test... the Corrado has died... :cry: :cry:

Apparently was driving fine.... started kangaroo'ing (her words) then cut out and died.... wont start now apparently.

So she has abandoned the car to get to her test on time... and will be calling the RAC out - I cannot do anything as am 60 miles away at work :mad:

Any diagnosis tips? :roll:

Scott.

I'd call Marvo the psychic.

First question: what were you doing letting the missus drive the Corrado anyway?! ;)

How did I know someone would mention petrol :-P :-P

Plenty of fuel in it as checked last night actually.... :lol:

I have no problem with my bird driving the car - she knows full well if anything happened to the Corrado she wouldnt live much longer :wink:

But seriously she takes more pride in the VR than I do.... :shock:

Update...

Now just starts and goes a mile or so then cuts out... she is going to take it to the car park where she meeting her bike instructor and call the RAC out to take it home for me... I have told her on no circumstances to let the RAC f**k with it... :mad:

Sounds more like the fuel pump to me. But could also be the crank position sensor (ouch :( ) - need to vagcom it for that.

It could be a few things, petrol is often the hope, but with C´s you know is more than that. :roll:

Just out of interest, crank sensor an expensive item or expensive job labour wise?

AFAIK replacing crank sensor isn't a big job, it's just an expensive part. VW charge around £130+ for it.

The engine won't run at all with a dead CPS, so it's a bit like Centre Parcs catering..... no alternatives so they can charge what they like :?

I wonder who make them? Telefunken probably... I wonder if they'd do a group buy on them :lol: Would be a very handy thing to keep in the glove box, along with a 5mm allen key :wink:

Well it starts mate and now runs so that rules dead CPS out...

This is going to be fun :roll:

Err no it doesn't..... They do that before they die completely.... intermittant loss of signal resolution.

Next time it doesn't fire, I bet you won't have sparks or fuel......the definitive test.

Fuel pumps generally stop and stop for good when they've had enough....

Other than that it's pointless speculating until you've had it looked at professionally.

Thats exactly what happened to mine recently. There were 2 very small cracks in 2 HT leads just above the metal casing that fits on the plug, you could only see the holes in the rubber on very close inspection.

But my car drove fine for a bit, then died, so I called out recovery. But no faults showed up on the computer in the garage so it took them 2 days to find the fault, and the leads were only 2 years old with 12k on them, so I assumed the leads were ok to start with.

It would be worth checking them, I never assumed a car could grind to a halt from 2 one milimetre holes in the leads.

Hope you sort it

Ady

Ok - just taken the Vr out for another run and it cut out...

Plugged in VAGCOM and get this:

00553 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)

29-10 - short to ground - intermittent

Can anyone tell me what this means? Bentley?

Had the same thing a while ago, can't remember if it was the fuel pump relay or ECU relay but changed one of them and problem went instantly. (Think it was ECU relay)

Sounds like you either have a wiring loom problem, or the MAF is genuinely dying!

The trick is to be able to decide which it is!

Sounds like you either have a wiring loom problem, or the MAF is genuinely dying!

The trick is to be able to decide which it is!

Where is the wiring for the MAF mate?