Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

A sad, sad day, my VR6 engine is dead.....

Ignore this bit of you just want gory details.

I wasn't meant to be doing this today. I should have been down south picking up a Rallye shell. But no, it wasn't ready to collect, so I went round my mates to fix his G60 turbo (which we did, and it's runs ridiculously fast and blows my VR6 away). So, instead of leaving my car on the drive all day long (where it's been all week waiting for me to service it this afternoon ready for tomorrows drag racing at york) I drove it to York to my mates house. We were having a bit of a play on the way back (with me losing) I slowed down and noticed a ticking sound. Thinking I'd picked up a stone in the disc or something I pulled over, but it was the engine, ticking it's knackers off. I put it down to a noisy tappet as the oil was probably down a bit (I noticed it's been weeping from the mk4 head gasket a bit) and drove it the 2 miles home. I had another listen to the engine, knocking like mad over cylinder 5. So I pulled the dipstick to check the oil. To my utter horror it was bone dry!!! I couldn't believe it. I knew it had been losing a bit of oil, but I hadn't driven the car for 3 weeks, and I remember checking it not so long before it went into the bodyshop. I topped the oil up and managed to get a not inconsiderable 2 litres in it!!! at this point, I'm fearing the worst, and kicking myself for going out in the car instead of checking it over like I was going to do. The ticking remained, and got worse when I raised the revs (hoping in vain the oil pressure would get to the lifter and quieten it). Anyway. it wouldn't shut up, so I dropped the oil and took the sump off. The oil stunk ( I had a high temperature panic the other week on the way to santa pod where it went up to 150 and I had to stop). I'd been meaning to change it but I'd put off the job of doing it until my oil cooler kit arrives. Bad move..........

Read here if you ignored the last bit.

The sump was full of a coppery coloured metal shavings, crank bearings.......I got underneath, checked all the big ends. number 5 had 1mm of play in it......cracked the cap off, bearing had spun, knackering the crank and conrod too. Game over.......

Pulled the head off. pistons 5 and 6 have been hitting the head, pittng both. Valves are OK though.

So. engine is coming out on Monday, I won't be racing at York tomorrow, and I can't show it at Edition 38. Plus I've just spent all my money on the paintwork so I can't afford to rebuild the engine.

Sick is not the word.........

(but I have just won £10 on the lottery!)

Oh man :(

What is it with project cars biting the dust at the minute?!

I'm really sorry to hear this has happened.. as I remarked to a few people on the Curborough day, your VR sounded butter smooth when it was flying down the little straight on full bore - its criminal for it to get fooked like this.

I hope you can get it back up and running soon without too much fuss mate! :(

Bad luck mate - you have my condolences - I did exactly the same thing with my MK1 Golf when I was 17 - I learned my lesson to the point of paranoia regarding oil levels/temp/pressure

Hope you get it sorted

I cannot believe I have let this happen to me. I knew it was losing oil. I was going to check it and top it up TODAY. if the car had done another 2 miles it wouls have been fixed. if I hadn't gone out in it today (and I wasn't going to) it wouldnever have happenend. If, if, if.

Kicking myself for allowing this to happen.........

It was a craking engine, with only about 70K on it too. I spend easily £500 in may on new timing chains, seals, gaskets. I renewed nearly all of them. nearly every bolt was polished stainless steel, the engine was immaculately painted. I did everything right and it ran like a dream.

Then I killed it by running the oil low.....what a tw4t I feel :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :oops: :p :roll: :roll: :| :( :( :(

whoa........... thats some seriously unfortunate turn of events -- you've my sympathies.

so is it RIP or just another reincarnation in a few months (weeks) ?

I have no money, just given it all to the paint guy. thi engine was meant to last me for 100K, I mever expected to f*ck it after 3 months.

gutted for you mate,

i find bad things always seem to happen at the wrong time.

had a scare with mine today, but it turned out to be something minor, but i can imagine how sick you feel :|

prob not best time to ask, but what sort of camera did you take the pictures with, looks really good quality

That sod and his law have a lot to answer for!! :mad:

Bad luck. Nowt else to say. Hindsight is probably the cruelest thing on earth. Dont worry there is always somebody else out there having a worse day.

Oh bugger :( Gutted for you - know how much time, effort and money you must have put in to that car from reading your posts on here. Hope you can get it sorted soon. Assuming you'll be doing most of the work yourself again, any idea what it'll cost to put right?

damn......we may have our differences on wide wheels but sory bout your engine.....oh well...on the bright side guess its a quarter of the way towards a bored out 3.0 now :roll:

What a nightmare, my sympathies to you. :| get it sort it you know you'll love her back :wink:

Ouch :shock:

Was keeping an eye out for your motor at york today.... this explains why you were no where to be seen!

Sorry to hear that !! :roll:

And i thought i was having a bad day with a petrol leak !! :|

£500 on engine bits down the pan....not to mention amonths work....gutted.

it's coming out tomorrow. just noticed a scrape on the bore of cylider 6. so it needs a rebore.

could be time to go for that 3.0 turbo I've always wanted to give the planned 4wd setup something to think about....

In a sick kind of way, somehow I think it was actually meant to be? just so many strange turns of event have led to this, it's kinda weird.

watch this space...this is just the beggining.

bummer... I know this feeling ALL too well... :| Hope you can get it sorted easily and, knowing your knack for getting stuff for bargain prices, I'm sure it'll be back bigger, better, stronger and faster in the near future.... ;) 8)