Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

new oil more noise

hello

i changed the oil n filter in my vr6 with a engine flush

now its really smooth n quiet when could alot more then before but once its hot it makes loads more noise more rattles ??? i used gsf silver 10/40 oil?

why would it sound worse?

Everyone eh? Bit of an exaggeration there but using engine flush in an old engine is not wise. It dries out hydraulic lifters and can harm the seals.

What is the point of flushing it anyway? A well serviced engine should never need a flush. Only neglected old bangers have enough of a gunk build up inside the engine that could need removing, and even then engine flush is hit and miss.

Ok, well by "everyone" I mean "all the garages I've been to".

I have been told the horror stories of old engines being harmed by engine flush are long gone. Modern engines (ok, the VR6 may be closely related to the Ark, but it's a modern enough engine) shouldn't have trouble with it. Whether it's worth doing or not is another matter altogether...

And anyway, this is all beside the point. Most likely the extra noise when the engine is warm will be down to you using thinner oil than before...

I think this has come up before and the conclusion was a proper flushing oil was better than those small tubs you pour in, rag the engine to death and then drain.

Still, you only have to look at the colour of your camshafts to get an idea of what the engine is like internally!!

I don't think VW recommend an engine flush. I told the head mechanic at the local dealers, I had used one and he told me its not recommended, and they never use it!

Oher garages, I don't know!!!

i used the same spec oil a 10/40 from gsf in silver bottle

i changed the filter too factory filter, the temp is about 90 to 102max oil

is that high? i tell you what though on the dip stick the new oil looks well thin?? it looks like water n can hardly see it on the stick!

I don't think VW recommend an engine flush. I told the head mechanic at the local dealers, I had used one and he told me its not recommended, and they never use it!

Oher garages, I don't know!!!

Mercedes say the same thing - don't use it !!

Following on from that - why would anybody ever want to use it ??

Following on from that - why would anybody ever want to use it ??

Exactly.... I've yet to unscrew a VW oil cap and see black sludge. That's caused by cheap oil and infrequent changes.

Regular changes of Quantum silver will never give you anything but shiney cams under that filler cap.....

Wasn't engine flush invented for the CVH engine? :mrgreen: Have you ever seen one that wasn't full of nasty black sludge?

Gavin

Mario,

If it was me I would renew the filter and oil again. It may be that some of the flush was left in the engine when you drained it. The remnants may cause the oil to appear thin as you reported.

OK it may cost another £35 for oil and filter, better that than worn components.

good point!!!!

i might just do that

o yeah when i took the oil n filter out the old oil was well black n it was only 2 months old!!! guess thats down to driving in london traffic!!