Sign in to follow this  
GIXXERUK

whats this ? ??

i found this rattling about in the rear cowling of the hatch, what is it ??, is it important ? everything seems to work ok without it, rear wiper spoiler etc

if no one knows its going on ebay :D :D

cheers

paul

ETKA calls it a fastener. Is it not the damper/spring thing that pops the boot open a touch when you press the release?

Gavin

it could be gavin, thats where it came from, it was just rattling about inside the cowling but where does it fit ??

thanks for your help mate , much appreciated

If I was a better geek I would post the picture for you. Like Olly says athere is a hole to screw it into.

Gavin

Yeah it's the boot 'assistor', keeps it ajar so that you can get your fingers under and lift it up. You're missing the outer lock ring. Lift the boot and look on the underside of the panel below the nearside reverse/fog cluster. You'll see the big hole!

Funnily enough I suspect mine will be found rattling about inside the boot sometime today too. A few days ago whilst crashing across the drainage channel in the work car park, something got dislodged, and the spoiler made an almighty creaking groaning noise while going down (ahem). I thought "oh damn here we go new spoiler mechanism time", but when I'd opened the boot up and run the spoiler up and down a few times it didn't do it again, all working fine..

Correction, the outer ring has snapped off, it's the inner nut that's missing.

the plastic ring that holds the plunger to the boot is too thin and eventually breaks off.....

I don't think they're expensive to replace...