Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

Changing exhaust manifold gasket

Going to do the exhaust manifold gasket on the C at the weekend.

Going to have to have the inlet manifold off to get to it. What I'm after is a list of any gaskets/parts I might need extra - obviously an inlet manifold gasket, but if there anything else I might need? Just making sure so I'm not stuck without the car.

que Henny :) :wink:

Cheers

Dan

you called? :lol:

Exhaust manifold to head gaskets? Good luck, they're an utter barstuard to do while the head is on the car... :|

Parts would include new nuts (They're locking nuts and so are single use only) the gaskets, LOTS of plasters and some cool beers... also, have a backup plan just in case, as the studs have a nasty habbit of snapping instead of the nuts coming off leaving you almost certainly needing to take the head off to get 'em extracted... :|

Are you 100% it's blowing from the head to manifold joint? the ones I've normally seen have blown from the manifold to downpipe joint which is a damned site easier to replace the gasket on... (I've got it down to sub 30 minutes to do 'em now!)

I'm not trying to put you off doing this job, it is a job you can do at home, but be aware that it's very easy for it to not go to plan and cause lots of problems... Just ask Woody what happened when John took his exhaust manifold off... :|

Make sure you have a spare set of knuckles to hand. You will almost certainaly knacker your original set. Lots of beer and a plan B are also pretty useful as Henny says.

I have replaced a cracked manifold on a Mk1 before with the head on the engine (and in the car) and it took longer than it would have done to change the head gasket, due to lots of cursing, swearing, frustrated tea breaks etc! I think if I did the job again I would whip the head off to do it and swallow the cost of a new head gasket. Its cheaper than repairing the dent you will put in the door when the studs snap and you kick the car in frustration. :p

Cheers lads

Well I'm not 100% sure yet. I was going to have a better look tonight. I'm going from the assumption from my other thread - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14762

As I was spitting flames the other night I was thinking that the air leak would have been pre-lambada sensor

I am about 95% sure i have a small leak at the de-cat pipe. But could that be causing the clicking you we on about in the other thread?

right, if you've got a de-cat pipe on there, you have 3 joints before the lambda which could be leaking...

1) head to manifold -Ugh, pray it's not this one... :|

2) Manifold to downpipe - Gasket costs about £6 from GSF and you can do this pretty easily either from above the engine if you've got long arms, or underneith it if you can get the front end of the car up enough to get easily underneith the car...

3) downpipe to cat-bypass - Should be 3x 13mm nuts and bolts with a triangular gasket (again about £6 from GSF)... this is the EASIEST to do as it's accessible if you just jack up one side of the car... 8)

The other point it could be leaking from is the flexy joint on the downpipe... these do wear with time (especially if you've had a dead engine mount in the past) and fracture/rip slightly causing an exhaust leak...

Check these out carefully before commiting yourself to trying to get the manifold off... ;) 8)

Useful thread - cheers for bringing it up G60Dan and cheers for the advice Henny - need to be sorting the death rattle out on mine soon, so this might come in handy.