Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged Junkie

Fuel pump fitting

Hi guys

I have to replace my fuel pump on my 92 G60 so how hard is it to do ?

Took my car down to G-werks for a charger rebuild plus 68mm pulley and chip, but Darren noticed my fuel pessure was down and the car was pinking at high revs.

Got a new fuel pump coming from the stealers, just need to fit it.

Was gonna take it to a garage to do but they said they can`t do it for a couple of weeks because there booked up and they would need it for a whole day ?.

So is it a DIY job?

Whats involved, what should i look out for ?

Cheers for any help

Ian

BIG THANK YOU TO DARREN AT G-WERKS, Car is running like a dream :-D Can`t wait to get the run in period out the way..............

Yeah it is a DIY job, I'm not sure exactly what is entailed, but from what I can remember it just unlocks and you lock the new one in place instead. There are probably a couple of bolts involved too, but nothing major.

I done this a few weeks ago, you will likely need to buy some jubilee clips as well as the VW clips need a special tool.

1. Remove cover in boot floor, 3 screws.

2. Remove plug and hoses from the cap on the tank.

3. Loosen the locking ring by tapping with a big flat screwdriver and hammer. (Seriously, its very tight.)

4. Remove ring and moove the cap out the way as much as possible.

5. Grab the fuel pump and twist till it unlocks, it will then lift out.

6. Swap pump over, refitting is the reverse of above.

You will probably need to buy a new fuel gauge sender as well as the g60 pumps have been superceded by the same pump the vr6 uses and the sender is different.

Oh, and dont go to euro car parts for the new pump, they have the wrong one listed so will sell you a 3 bar pump instead of a 4 bar.

Which is ok as youve ordered one from the stealers, how much was it? Im running an old g60 pump just now and will need to order a new one from vw.

Hi Joe M

New pump from the stealers costed me £95, which i didn`t think was too bad :shock:

Do you really need to get a new fuel gauge sender, whats wrong with the old one ?

What size jubilee clips do i need?

Cheers

Ian

The sender slots into the side of the fuel pump. The slot on the newer fuel pumps is about 1 1/2" wider than the old ones.

I dont know exactly when they changed the fuel pumps over though, so it might be worth waiting till you get it to see.

I got 4 of the smallest jubilee clips halfords sell for the pipes between the fuel pump and top cap, and 2 of the next size up for the main pipes on the outside of the top plate, sorry, cant remember the size. It was something like 5-9mm and 8-12mm clips.

Right can someone please check a part number for me

Just got the fuel pump from the vw stealers and the guy who ordered it said he only been there 3months!!!!

The pump i got doesn`t look like the one Darren showed me

Part number is : VW = 191 906 090

Bosch= 0 580 453 914

Is this the right fuel pump for a 92 J G60 ?

Cheers

Ian

It is correct up to chassis L 00 5732 which is 2 years before yours I'd say. I think you should be looking for a 1H0 919 651Q which is a 4BAR in tank pump which has the fuel gauge sender attached to it.. Its teh same pump as a VR of teh same age. Also fitted in MK3 Golfs and a load of Passats.

Gavin

Yip, part number required is 1H0 919 651 Q and looks like the one in the left of this picture:

download.php?id=9063

If it looks like the pump on the right then its the wrong, 3Bar pump.

Cheers, Looks like i`ll will have to train the newbie in now to use a EKTA system. TW@T

Right so i want the brown coloured pump which is code "1H0 919 651 Q" just to confirm?

Thanks

Ian

Heh heh the one on the left looks like some kind of alien sex toy

Just wondering now you know what a alien sex toy looks like :? :oops:

:D LOL

Heh heh the one on the left looks like some kind of alien sex toy

Just wondering now you know what a alien sex toy looks like :? :oops:

:D LOL

We don't talk about the abduction...

So the question is, did you get the right parts and how much was it with the sender?

I have a nagging worry that I'm gonna need a new pump for my VR, so do I need to bother with a new sender as welll?

Also, can you get the part from GSF instead? Someone on the Yahoo! list today was saying they're only £35 from there? Is that the 3-bar one?

Right picked up the new pump & sender yesterday, worried at first because its white! but after checking the pic above i see it is the right one but a different colour.

Tried getting the pump form GSF in the first place, they don`t do them :(

Can`t quite work out now the sender connects to the pump thou, any ideas?

The sender was £47.96+VAT part number 1H0 919 673 F

Gotta try and fit it later today or tomorrow, then i can really open it up :lol: :D

Cheers

Ian

EDIT: silly me! Just had another look and its quite bloody clear where the sender fits D`oh!