Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged Junkie

Trye pressure?

Hi

Stupid question but what PSI should the front & rear tryes be pumped up to if your running 16" rims with 215/45 tryes ?

For the life of me can`t remember what pressure to pump them upto :oops:

Just checked the fronts and there down to 20psi, i know thats not right :?

Thanks

Ian

Tyre pressure should be the same as standard even with 16s fitted afaik. I think the correct pressures are 29 in the fronts and 26 in the rears. I know that's what it is for most other vws of the same age as the corrado.

IMO 33 in the fronts and 30 in the rears is over inflated

Tyre pressure should be the same as standard even with 16s fitted afaik. I think the correct pressures are 29 in the fronts and 26 in the rears. I know that's what it is for most other vws of the same age as the corrado.

in fact thats under-inflated according to VW :wink:

in fact thats under-inflated according to VW :wink:

My apologies :oops: :lol:

As I said I only know the recommended figures for other vws of the same age, eg mk2 and mk3 golfs. Anyone know why the C needs higher pressures?

As stated in the past, the factory tyre pressures only apply to the factory wheel size. If you run bigger wheels with shorter sidewalls or wider treads you should be running different pressures. Wider tyres == more pressure; shorter sidewall .. not sure exactly, cos although the sidewall is stronger, it has less flex and it needs to be flexed less too... Perhaps someone else knows??

The one thing that no-one has so far done, is contact a tyre manufacturer and ask THEM what the safe pressure range is for a given size of tyre when loaded with a given weight (the Corrado has around 70/30 weight balance so each front tyre supports ~420kg, each rear around 220kg). Because this is the only way to know for sure. I'm not going to, cos I run standard wheels... :)

As stated in the past, the factory tyre pressures only apply to the factory wheel size. If you run bigger wheels with shorter sidewalls or wider treads you should be running different pressures.

I'm not sure if that is the case. For example, for the mk2 golf it doesn't matter whether the tyres are 155 R13, 175/70 13, 185/60 14 or 185/55 15 the pressures listed inside the fuel filler cap are the same :?:

Hmmmm...

I use higher pressures.

They are insigned near the door lock.

Though i feel the suspension to hard... :roll:

Here is a pic of it!

Well it all comes down to: if you have uneven wear on the tyres your tyre pressure is wrong. Worn outer edges = not enough pressure, worn centre = too much pressure. Add 2/3 psi for a high speed run or up to 8 psi extra in the rear for heavy loading.