Sign in to follow this  
G-Lader

G60 performance

Got a stg4,chip n'68mpulley,jetex and cat replace pipe(air filter next),guessing this s/be good for 185ish bhp but cat believe it would post any where near vr6 0-60 times - is it the gearbox does anyone know?Are the ratios in the g60 not really ideal for early accelaration (0-60's). Drove a Subaru impreza std turbo last w/end and that felt loads quicker - rattled rather a lot though! Not sommit im used to having VW's

Any ideas what i should be doing next in performance stakes? Thinking of a K&N panel filter,FPR boost valve(not heard much about these) and an SNS chip to stop the slight feeling of holding back on full throttle which im putting down to the jabba chip?

The ratios in the G60 box suck for 0-60 since we have to change to 3rd to hit that magic number. However, on the road against other cars it shouldn't matter much.

185hp sounds about right but peak power doesnt tell the whole story. If 2 cars with 185hp go against one another and one car has a better throttle response and a better power curve (quicker build rate), then guess which car will come out on top???? :p

dubcharged - what do you think of my next mods,what comes first chip and air filter? you seem to be associated to SNS - i emailed them at one stage but they did not even bother to reply! Is the FPR part of the SNS chip mod? Want the chip but not sure if i can fit it or where sns is based !

harry - My apologies for the lack of response, you must have mailed the guys in the states cos they only cater for customers on their side of the pond. UK and European customer mails are sent to me if i'm not contacted directly via my mail in my sig.

Yes the 3.5bar FPR is a must with the chip since we've mapped for the higher fuel pressure. With the chip and pulley, you next focus should be on improving cold air flow to the intake filter. Heat saps power in a big way! Cone filters increase the surfaec area through which the charger can draw air from but must be shielded from engine heat. A good way to do this is by either making (or buying) a heat shield OR put the filter in the wing where the charcoal canister is!!

I'm based in East London, would be happy to help you out if you're unsure about fitting the chip yourself.

harry1000, with the mods u've done to ur car, would u be able to beat a standard VR6? I've been reading a lot of posts that say u can 200bhp out of the G60 with just a Chip and Pully... but in ur case that doesn't appear to be true...

Sorry I'm just trying to build up my knowledge of the different corrados before I decide which one I want :)

Chris

no way you'd get 200bhp with just chip and pulley...

chip and pulley alone are a huge improvement, definitely noticable... but not that much. however, i've heard that a chip and pulley is all that you need to keep up with a VR.

you'd probably need 3.5bar fpr, cold air intake, exhaust, and a modified or different intercooler. cam would help..so would a ported charger. you'd be at minimum 200bhp then.

hey ant, your G60 is puttin out 202bhp eh? whats your setup?

keep in mind.. 200bhp is only about 165-180hp at the wheels.

in gear performance would I suspect match a VR6 but cant imagine 0-60 off the lights would........all I seem to race is Scooby's that *iss all over me!

ive raced a scooby in my vr on a bypass,passed him doing 140 and thats the last i seen of him untill he pulled in for petrol behind me...he didnt even look at me :lol:

i wish i'd have been there for that.. i'd have given you two a good run, but while you both stopped for petrol i'd be rollin with a half tank to spare :p :lol:

sorry, couldn't resist :D

ive raced a scooby in my vr on a bypass,passed him doing 140 and thats the last i seen of him untill he pulled in for petrol behind me...he didnt even look at me :lol:

And Ive had a scobbie too :lol:

Its not all horsepower lads.... bhp is nothing without the torque to back it and it is this that the VR6 has in buckets *;)

A decent VR6 will see off a 200bhp G60.... and like mention its the gearing on a G60.... I can see 70mph in 2nd gear on the VR if Im naughty :oops:

if you want a different gear box, you could try the golf 4-motion 6 speed unit. i have it on good authority that its a direct fit (but does need a little modification), plus will take more power than the standard g60 unit.

need to do my suspension bushes first cos mine are wrecked and won't pass the mot :cry:

dazzy and scott - I'll race ya both.....think I'll leave the G60 at home and bring my bike though!

Anyone know why one day my G60 can be running great (and quick as I suspect a Vr6) and the next day it's running pants! Need to get in booked into a rolling road when its running crap I reckon!

Do any other G60 owners have this?

harry 1000

Hi, my G60 does it, I spoke to Mike of Jabba sport because it was pissing me off, he said that its down to heat, it can back off by 15bhp on a hot summers day, a better intercooler would help solve this problem but to me its more expense and hassle.

Hope this helps

Kevin...

dazzy and scott - I'll race ya both.....think I'll leave the G60 at home and bring my bike though!

Anyone know why one day my G60 can be running great (and quick as I suspect a Vr6) and the next day it's running pants! Need to get in booked into a rolling road when its running crap I reckon!

Do any other G60 owners have this?

Heat build up/Digi lag/excess blow by from breather

Our G60's aren't exactly that young anymore, so we're all getting some extent of oil vapour being thrown out of the breather and into the bypass pipe.

This then goes into the charger/ic and then mixes with petrol in the combustion process. The amount of vapour is not consistent, you might get a plume of vapour one day due to heavy driving/conditions etc.

Oil vapour adds to the inconsistency of performance since it makes the combustion less aggressive.

so, if you shot that oil vapour into a catch can, you'd be better off?

I See

so if you put a valour filer on the breather hose and then plug the hole in the return then your sorted!!

Speaking of G60 performance, I followed my mate in his G60 today and they certainly pull away very quickly :lol: . The VR needs a good poke for it to wake up :oops:

I like his G60, it's so meaty and raw compared to the VR!

RE the breather, personally I would not use one of those breather filters. I used one on my 16V Turbo and they clog up really quickly. If left uncleaned for too long, they can cause excess crank case pressure. A catch tank is a much better solution. Just depends if you feel confident enough to make one.

Kev

94 VR6

well doing a catch tank with a long hose in the engine bay i think will look butters,why not use a crank case breather,hell they just pop in the crankcase hole get rid of the black thing there and look sweet, for only £10 you can replace it once in a while if it clogs up