Sign in to follow this  
NG

starting problems

Can anyone give me some guidance- ive just bought Hreg corrado, and it had starting probs so Ive had the starter motor changed as this was faulty- now what happens is tha the car starts fine when cold- but once the engine is warm/hot the cars does not start- can anyone give me an idea of what i should be looking for in terms of solving this, it would be greatly appricated.

Mine 1.8 16v often starts on two or three cylinders when warm. It rarely doesn't start at all but it's a bit of a pain waiting for it to clear it's throat. It's always fine from cold like yours.

Does your car attempt to fire or just turn over in a lifeless fashion when warm, and does it fail to start every time it's warm or only sometimes?

mine does this - think one of sensors on side of head is knacked which messes with the fueling when starting.. i'm planning to change the three identical ones (to look at) the brown contact to the warm up regluator and the thermotime switch - big brass nut one. hopefully that will sort.

I know Renegade on the forum is suffering the same problem on his 1.8 16v also...

If it won't start when warm, its most likely the thermotime switch. Just disconnect the blue connector on the cold start valve and this will sort it. You will have to reconnect it to start from cold tho. Ran mine like that for a few weeks till I got round to getting a new thermotime switch. Oh, and go to a breakers, the stealer charges a fortune fpr a new one!!!

Hi

Mine does this too. Initially I thought the injectors were a bit on the funny side so I've Slick 50's the fuel system which has made no difference. I drive 30 miles to work, it starts on the button in the morning, but if I go out at lunchtime at work it starts after about 5 seconds of cranking, then is either fine, or runs on less than 4 cylinders for a bit.

What's this cold start valve thingy and the Thermotime switch? Is it easy to sort?

as above - cold start valve is attached to side of block with fuel line running to and blue connector - when cold it richens mixture like chokes on really old cars :D the thermotime is sat underneath the water jacket outlet on side of block, got a big brass screw with brown connector. both 'should' be easy to undo and change, try not to loose your coolant too

bit weird but plugged in my vsam unit last night which exactly alters the moment of spark for running on inleaded, and hey presto my idle has never been so steady! don't ask me how/ why :?

Mines ok from cold starting but runs a hbit lumpy for a few min but when warm mines a bit of a pain and have to turn it for 5 sec's and then let it sort its self out too. Just cleaned my K&N and now its even more lumpy from cold so might have oiled the filter too much :wink: Gonna try new HT leads cos its got gradualy worse starting scince ive had the car which was about a year ago...

After seeing this link i thought i would take a look under the bonnet to see anything that might be affecting my car running cold. Found a smallish vacuum pipe that had poped off at some point. Started car from cold and was perfect. So if ur 16v is running like poo from cold like mine was then have a check cos everything under the bonnet does somthing no matter how small it is :?