Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

drive shaft damper missing

does the rubber damper ring actually do anything as all there is left of mine is the small rubber core :?

its been missing on mine since i have had it and i sometimes get odd vibrations through the car under acceleration

i have changed all three engine mounts, the front shock absorbers, the wheel bearings are all ok, it did improve when i changed the clutch but it is still very annoying.

i have new front wishbones with bushes and new ball joints on order but if replacing them makes no difference could it be down to the rubber damper??

and if so can they be bought seperately or are they only availiable as part of a new drive shaft??

There's meant to be a (substantial) steel collar on the outside of the rubber bit.

As I understand it, it's main effect is to reduce the writhing of the wheel in your hands under hard acceleration due to the different lengths of the driveshafts (don't ask me how - I don't know).

That said, vibrations could be a damaged driveshaft - but I've cut the entire damper off mine and it doesn't do what you describe.

The long driveshaft twists more than the short one (which causes torque steer) and the idea of the rotating weight is to offer a giro effect to try and even out the opposing forces. It's a waste of time. They always fall off and their effect is minimal. Leave it off. The VR doesn't have one and doesn't torque steer........

Speaking of weights, what is that solid lump of pig iron bolted to the steering rack all about on G60s?

No one seems to know what that lump of iron bloted to the G60 is. It seems not even VW know what it is. Someone I know asked senior engineers or something at VW and they hadn't a clue!!!!!

I asked Vince at Stealth what it was and he thinks it's some kind of vibration damper...... who knows? Doesn't make one bit of difference if removed!

Wheels balanced properly? Slight wear in the CVs?

The VR doesn't have the shaft damper and there are no undue vibrations as a result..... not entirely sure why the G60 got it.

found out what the vibration was last night

the base of the downpipe is hitting the steering rack under hard acceleration and gets worse as the engine warms up, the exhaust doesnt leak anywhere and i have recently replaced all three engine mounts so i am a bit puzzled as to why it is doing it :?

could the flexi section in the downpipe have been stretched when the engine mount failed causing the downpipe to sit slightly lower?

any ideas what i could do to remedy this as the downpipes are a bit pricey aren't they and i have quite a few other things to replace at the moment :(

Are they standard downpipes? Should be acres of clearance if they are.....

Which mounts did you use? VT ones drop the engine slightly....

The flexi-joints are pretty tolerant of excessive engine movement for a reasonable term but don't like it over extended periods. if they're not leaking, they're probably OK but they may have 'drooped' a little.....

it is the original downpipe with standard oem mounts,

there is only about 50mm above and about 25mm clearence below it where it is hitting does that not sound right