Sign in to follow this  
dav

VR6 oil leek

Have noticed an oil leek from the bottom of my VR(drip-drip) :( not sure where it could be coming from. Have had a look at the oil filter housing and it looks ok, have also looked and tightened the sump nut.

Where else can the leek come from?

The sump?

What are the common leek points on a VR, or aren’t there any and is my engine F**KED :cry:

Please help VR dudes.

best thing to do is part the car up and let it drip, then jack the front of the car up onto some axel stands and look for signs of oil in above the pool of oil on the floor, i would wear eye protection as you dont want oil in your eyes.

i would guess it would be going from the oil filter, sump gasket, sump plug, or Timing chain/crank seals (think thats what there called).

The oil is unlikly to be coming from any higher thatn the bottem of the block as it would boil off and you would smell it.

Timing chain/crank seals ? :?

were about is that and could this explain why my chain is a bit noisey?

Question: if I had to replace this would I have to drop the gear box?

Timing chain/crank seals ? :?

were about is that and could this explain why my chain is a bit noisey?

Question: if I had to replace this would I have to drop the gear box?

Yes you would - but the leak would not explain noisy timing chain....

Crankshaft seals leaks are common and unless its bad would leave it until the clutch needs doing and just keep eye on oil level - crank shaft seals usually fail as a result of putting too much oil in the engine.........

Thanks guys.

Must have been the previous owner, I am well up on it about not over filling with oil.

About the chain, I have read so many different views about what to change :? bit confused.

Would I be right in thinking that, the upper tensioner and plastic guide rails need to be replaced to cure this, and this can be done without tacking off the head, as they can be reached from the side?

My VR is a K Reg 93 model if this makes any difference.

All help/info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks VR dudes.

Hello All

To replace the Chain guides is a box out job,only one guide can be got at from top, but the guide that wears(the one that causes noise) is the one the hydrolic tensioner pushes against and wears out on top edge due to the shape of it !!(replacment ones are bent more and the material is harder wearing)

This guide is held on by a bolt which the lower cover sits over,thus box out !! :cry:

All in all arse of a job :(

Dont u love VR's :D

Cheers James

I have noticed oil comming from the side of my block, sure its the head gasket that its leakinfg from. Someone kindly replyed to my problem and said it was the oil cooler and reading your ideas that could be the same problem as my car. Also the guys car that i s leaking is the same year and engine as mine.

Dav, send me an email so I can chart to you about your oil leak, im in the same boat as you. I hope my engine is not bust too!

Look forward o hearing from you and anybody else that has an idea or can elaborate on the pervious discussions about our oil leak!