Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Just failed my MOT and have 3 days to renew my road tax....

Just got failed on "the rear four brake pipes from load valve to rear hoses and both rear brake pipes have heavy corrosion"

The guy told me all the brake lines were going so I should do the whole lot! any idea what sort of price the parts are time required etc? a little urgent :oops:

If you're gonna change all the rear pipes, it might be worth investing in some Mk4 calipers... you'll need the Mk2->Mk4 Goodridge flexi hoses and the calipers from C&R. The whole lot should be £200 delivered and you'll have a properly functioning hand brake after ;)

Brake pipe and ends are available from motor factors and are not expensive, you will need a cutter and pipe flaring tool to do the job. Its a bit of a pain if you dont have a ramp but would basically consist of you remanufacturing new pipe lengths with unions and replacing the existing ones. Doing the whole car will take a while, i would reckon without a ramp you would be looking at putting the best part of a day aside to be safe. The ones from the servo across the bulkhead are especially difficult to get too.

Best to do what stevemac says and get the MOT station to do the job if youre not keen.

Just got failed on "the rear four brake pipes from load valve to rear hoses and both rear brake pipes have heavy corrosion"

The guy told me all the brake lines were going so I should do the whole lot! any idea what sort of price the parts are time required etc? a little urgent :oops:

mine failed on the exact same thing,ended up paying £130 to get it sorted,its not a hard job just awkward without a ramp