Sign in to follow this  
Brady

Performance: Raddo vs Beamer

german import?

more than likely :wink: ..............would help if brady actually gave us a bit more info as to where he's from,where he's living and what country his BMW spec is :wink:

my 1995 318ti was better built than my C to be fair.

You're joking right? God those things were terrible.... you could see where the savings were made compared to the 3 series.

My mate's E46 rattles a bit and is actually noisier inside the cabin than my C..... but then it only has the rough old 4 pot engine in it, which is very boomy and thrashey at high revs.

The 6 cylinder Bimmers are much, much better and the only ones worth bothering with imo......

my 1995 318ti was better built than my C to be fair.

You're joking right? God those things were terrible.... you could see where the savings were made compared to the 3 series.

My mate's E46 rattles a bit and is actually noisier inside the cabin than my C..... but then it only has the rough old 4 pot engine in it, which is very boomy and thrashey at high revs.

The 6 cylinder Bimmers are much, much better and the only ones worth bothering with imo......

the compacts tbh weren't that bad.........just obviously a bit of cost-cutting in the choice of materials and of course the old E-30 rear suspension set-up........and of course the good old 16 valver in the Ti'swhich gave them a decent turn of speed i enjoyed owning mine for near on 2 1/2 years of near trouble-free service

Had an E46 320Ci - what a pile of **ite it was, poorly built, unreliable, dodgy in the wet (ever with only 170 bhp), worst car I've ever had. Just glad I never had a four cylinder 3 series as they are built in South Africa and are supposed to be even more shoddily built than the German ones.

E46 is avasilable with a 4 wheel drive option in Europe, a lot more weight for no real gain

sorry guys, its seemed i've invoked mass confusion... Im from the US and the car is a 3series 2.5 xi, x meaning 4wd and im not sure what 'i' is. I believe its the same as any other 3 2.5 but it has 4wd... I raised the issue because I wanted to know what the Corrado could do (VR6 i guess) Ive seen HP numbers but this doesnt really mean much to me. In general, how does it drive? I know its a fast performance oriented car, but i just wanted to have some camparisons so I can 'get my bearings'.

I wouldnt disgrace all of your cars by making comparisons with SUVs! I dont want to offend you people... :oops: :lol:

Brady

The bmw 328's are slightly slower than a C VR6 so a 2.5 lump in the heavy E46 with some extra metal to turn the front wheels you are looking at 0-60 in around 8ish probably - but maybe a car designed for ski's on the roof and a little bit of sideways action down the green runs off Les Alpes.... I've owned a 318is E36 which I lost sideways into a crash barrier last year :oops: Definitely think the C is more usabale in rainy Europe. As your in the US there are no corners! just get a second hand Corvette/Mustang/Dodge! I would! 8)

sorry guys, its seemed i've invoked mass confusion... Im from the US and the car is a 3series 2.5 xi, x meaning 4wd and im not sure what 'i' is. I believe its the same as any other 3 2.5 but it has 4wd...

Brady

don't worry........the "i" just refers to injection...............but the SLC(2.8 AAA-VR6-178bhp) which is what you'll have over in the states will be a little bit less powerful than the VR6(2.9 ABV-VR6-190bhp) that we have here for a start.........

No Corners! Where ever did you get that idea? The highways are designed to be as boring as humanly possible though...

I don't usually drive my C very hard, but did have a flutter with a Beemer 530 recently. The VR is definitely quicker, it was still pulling when the beemer was shifting up. I'm assuming that the 530 was an auto, so maybe it would have been a little closer if it were a manual 530.

No Corners! Where ever did you get that idea? The highways are designed to be as boring as humanly possible though...

90 degree intersections don't count ;) Although I must say when I was in Canada (ok ok not USA, but it's got the same kinda roads) the roads winding their way into up the Rockies looked like they were pretty good fun.

Hey, dinkus, those roads winding their way up into the Rockies ARE fun.. But unfortunately the hire car was a Dodge, so they weren't as much fun as they could be.

I did see hordes of Pikmin at the side of the roads though, which I was a little surprised about..

I had some fun in a hire car through the mountains from montreal to boston - great day and good craic.

only downside was the stoopid car topped out at 110 :(

oh and the blizzard on the way home ;)

Hey, dinkus, those roads winding their way up into the Rockies ARE fun.. But unfortunately

It's like being in vague control of a blamonge :lol:

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer presented in my .sig .. ;)

I would like to refer the honourable doctor to the (ironic) idiocracy of American car manufacturers.

This car was CHEAP though. Amazingly so. It was a 4-door reasonable sized saloon with a decent boot, a 2.0 4 cylinder engine, an auto box, cruise control, air con and a CD player. The RRP? $13000 CAN - around £6k. Plus it comes with a 10 year/100,000 mile drivetrain warranty.

You can see why the rental companies buy them.

This car was CHEAP though. Amazingly so. It was a 4-door reasonable sized saloon with a decent boot, a 2.0 4 cylinder engine, an auto box, cruise control, air con and a CD player. The RRP? $13000 CAN - around £6k. Plus it comes with a 10 year/100,000 mile drivetrain warranty.

You can see why the rental companies buy them.

Yeah, but the reason it's so cheap is because it's the same car that they've been making for the last 20yrs that has had no development work done on it apart from a slightly revised body every now and then.