Sign in to follow this  
stel g60

ABS not working

went out for lunch about an hour ago and realised my abs light is staying on, never done it before and was ok on the way to work this morning so thought turning ignition on and off would cure it but it didnt. it switches off like its supposed to after i start the car then comes back on about 5-10 seconds later and stays on. went for a drive and managed to get the car to lock up everytime i hit the pedal with some force. fuse looks ok. anyone got any ideas?

This is a fairly common problem on Corrado VR6s and Golf VR6s, so I guess it could also apply to the G60.

Seems it is a duff sensor that causes it. Having said that, usually the ABS continues to work so perhaps it is something else like the ABS pump.

Have you checked all the relays and fuses?

Sorry my answer is a bit vague - perhaps someone else will be able to elaborate.

If the light is on, the ABS does not operate. That's what it says in the manual, anyway.

The most common reason for ABS faults is dodgy front wheel sensors, but you need VAGCOM to read which one (unless you can test them all yourself).

The VR6 has a traction control circuit too - and if this fails, the system shouldn't disable the ABS completely, as it's not a safety related fault.

i checked the fuse but not the relay. funny thing is that sometimes it stays on from the start and others it swithches off as normal then comes back on within a few seconds

No. The G60 also doesn't remember the error codes when you turn the ignition off, but if you get it VAG-COM scanned while the light is on, you'll find what you need to know.

No. The G60 also doesn't remember the error codes when you turn the ignition off, but if you get it VAG-COM scanned while the light is on, you'll find what you need to know.

The late ones do...

If the light has just come on and goes off after a restart then you probably just need to wash the car and hose the wheels to clean any grit of the sensors...

If you use the search there are some good posts about testing the sensors yourself without using VAG COM. The sensors run up into engine bay and there are connectors on top of the suspension struts. IIRC you just unplug the connector and test the resistance on the sensor side. It should be something like 1.4 K on both sides. (not 100% on that reading tho so have a look thru previous posts)

Cheers

funny thing is that sometimes it stays on from the start and others it swithches off as normal then comes back on within a few seconds
MIne used to come on after a while and switching the engine off and back on again used to clear it. But after a while it came on and stayed on. Now it comes on when the engine starts and never goes out.

To be honest, I'm not too bothered whether the ABS is working or not as I'm used to driving a car without ABS. However, I'll need to fix it before the next MOT as I'm reliably informed that you can fail the MOT on that.

Anyway, back to your problem and not mine. It was the wheel sensors I was referring to. I knew someone would be along to clarify. :D

my abs went awol on my last car and after pricing the repair, i just pulled the bulb and it sailed through 3 mot's no problem , at different garages 8)

They are supposed to check that the lamp lights on startup, then goes out a few seconds later. If they don't notice that, then they're really a bit clueless..

And yes, the ABS being faulty is an automatic MOT fail.

as i said mate , 3 different garages !! not all cars have abs and cars like the celica etc that are imported arent fitted with abs like the uk models

3 years no problem, clueless maybe 8) but i prefer clueless to rip off :)

yeah i know what you mean GIXX but i need the ABS the way i drive. its come into play quite a few times. will check the sensors later and see how i get on. like i said only happened a couple hours ago and it did piss down with rain between this morning when i got to work and when i went out for lunch which is when it first happened. fingers crossed eh?

Ah - could also be water getting into the car and into the ABS control unit. See if you've got any dampness in the carpet in the passenger footwell, near the front of the door.

i'm sure when i looked into it i was told the sensors need to be focused and by renewing say one sensor it can kick off a problem with the others being older and the abs control unit was like an arm and a leg but thats the beauty of an older car you will be able to get it 2nd hand, my other car was only 1 1/2 yrs old when it went pear shaped

good luck anyhoo :)

The ABS controller should be smart enough to auto-range for new or old sensors on a per-sensor basis, I'd be surprised if there was an interaction like you're suggesting, GIXXERUK. I could be wrong, maybe it used to be true on the early systems tho...

Ah - could also be water getting into the car and into the ABS control unit. See if you've got any dampness in the carpet in the passenger footwell, near the front of the door.

i might have, it has got wet under there before. will go check in a minute.

by the way i appreciate all the help guys!

Looking through previous posts on this its almost always the sensors. Get them on a multimeter before you start panicking about expensive bits like ABS control units going wrong 8)

Its a doddle to fit them yourself as well and I don't think a new sensor was that expensive (£20- £30 odd quid)

Mike